Improving black ash

My hi-fi speakers (Rogers LS2s) sound OK, but black ash has never been my favourite wood finish. So I was thinking of painting them a different colour.

Any suggestions on what kind of paint to use, and whether I need to do anything to the existing finish before I start mucking around with them?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Ash is ring porous, which is why it's used for this black paint finish

- you can still tell it's "wood" underneath.

So you can paint them with almost anything, but you'll be wanting a good filler if you expect to get a smooth surface. I suggest trying a car bodyshop - they have a range of high-body spray primers with plenty of filler, then rub it down and use a coloured paint over what's now hopefully a smooth surface.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Just have them relaminated in another finish. I did my Tannoy Berkeleys this way (in fact I went the other way from the bashed old teak cases to black ash when it was the height of fashion!)

This will be much more durable than a coat of paint.

Colin

Reply to
Colin M

Some speakers (like the Spendor BC1 based on BBC design information) take into account cabinet resonances rather than try and eliminate them as used to be the case, so are made out of fairly exotic materials, like special plywood rather than chipboard. Now how much difference adding a veneer would make, I don't know, but it's worth considering.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I'd try using liming paste: it may give you a nice finish. A final coat of varnish/sealant etc would increase durability,. which is definitely useful for speakers.

Another easy approach is to glue on fabric, or spray with car paint.

Why complicate things.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton