Improving an old electrical installation

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:48:35 +0100,it is alleged that "Autolycus" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

I am glad you did start the thread, I learned a few things about VO ELCBs :-)

I would say it's looking like a TN-S setup, if the 'flat strip' you mention is below the box it sounds like an earth clamp onto the [probably lead] sheathing of the supply cable. Fairly standard in urban/suburban areas until fairly recently.

Installing an RCD protected (even part protected/split load) certainly isn't going to _lessen_ the safety.

That one I shall leave to others, I know what I'd do and it would involve buying the aforementioned RCD, but I might be wrong to do it.

Excellent on both counts:-)

Hmm, eek. I take it that will be going byebye fast!

Good luck with the project:-)

On the subject of CUs, right now TLC are selling their Hager panels for very very cheap prices, 18 pounds today for a 63amp/30mA RCD, the

100amp/100mA version would have been 28 pounds.
Reply to
Chip

Yeah right

Reply to