Impregnating a tree stump for burning out?

Once on the bandwagon there is no stopping it.

Reply to
Martin

Digging a hole? :-P

Reply to
Martin

Well, I am a gardener. I'm allowed to do that ;~)

Reply to
Spider

Sorry - missed that...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Unless you ask an irishman, then they are the same thing ;->

Reply to
Tim Watts

The forest is 150 metres away, and also right at the back of my house. I don't think we have Honey Fungus in New Zealand, but there will be similar fungi. We are allowed to use the most dreadful of timber treatments here, so Pinus Radiata lasts for many years in the ground.

Reply to
MattyF

Aaargh!!! That should be "its end" of course.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Don't worry. It gets easier with practice. :-)

Reply to
Johny B Good

Drill deep 1" holes in it and fill them with Gromore or any other granulated fertiliser. Stand back and light blue touchpaper... err, wait a couple of years.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Add the right percentage of sulphur and charcoal to the saltpetre and a fuse in the holes ... that would get it out when lit!

Reply to
mail-veil

Only if you have ground it extremely finely together.

Reply to
Martin Brown

replying to harryagain, g wrote: We've used mushroom spores and found it to be VERY effective.

Is that because there is not mushroom inside? Thud.

I bet this was in answer to a post from the last Ice Age too.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Three years ago I got some sodium nitrate, meaning to bore holes in a stump and fill them if I had the stump would be ready to burn,Dont't know where I put that sodium nitrate,( must have lost my tuit then)

Reply to
FMurtz

Is it in the food cupboard with the other curing, smoking and preserving ingredients? That's where mine is. Isn't it potassium nitrate that's used for tree stumps?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

The only advantage that potassium nitrate has over sodium nitrate is that it is much less inclined to absorb water from the air and doesn't impart much colour to the flame when it burns.

Important if you are making pyrotechnics but for rotting out a tree stump any old nitrate will do - even ammonium nitrate.

Unless we get a very very warm dry summer you are more likely to win by fungi dismembering the wood from inside than getting it to smoulder.

Reply to
Martin Brown

If you can get it as a private individual. Much used for quarry blasting and by terrorists. I wouldn't be surprised if even an enquiry, google ebay or whatever, attracted the attention of the counter-terrorism police.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It is still widely available in bulk for agriculture but not to home gardeners. By a quirk of fate its tradename is my first name backwards.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Isn't there something added to it to reduce the effectiveness of the old IRA car bomb favourite mix (which I won't mention here).

Reply to
newshound

I came across the recipe many years ago in a book on limestone deposits, quarrying etc. Very simple IIRC, and ideal for terrorists. The simple recipe also makes for easy mixing on-site and straight down the blasting hole, so no explosives stored locally to be stolen. I remember a few years ago some terrorists did buy and store a 1-ton bag of Nitram, presumably with a view to using it at a later date, but the anti-terrorist police were alerted by the supplier, and they replaced the Nitram with sugar IIRC, and arrested the terrorists when they tried to use it.

Reply to
Chris Hogg