Import duty - naive buyer

Better get them elsewhere cheaper - once the Import duty regs are sorted out. You must learn to think for yourself. Out - the sooner the better.

Reply to
jake

What would be better is if import duty was calculated as a percentage of the value, with no exorbitant minimum charge.

The real problem is that you not only have to pay the import duty (which is a pain but I suppose it's fair enough) but you also have to pay a fee to the courier or to Royal Mail for them to pay the duty on your behalf. Paying a fee on top of the duty is a real ripoff.

Is there a way of telling customs not to dispatch by Royal Mail but instead to invoice you just for the import duty and *then* once this has been paid to send it by Royal Mail without the RM charging their import fee? Slower but cheaper!

Reply to
NY

Well, quite. If we flounce out of the EU, does anyone really expect we'll get favourable terms to just trade with it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Tim Streater scribbled

Not when the EU have the bat and the ball.

Reply to
Jonno

The Natural Philosopher scribbled

Ho ho ho. Still on the delusional pills.

Reply to
Jonno

No. They simply want everything their way. And there are those foolish enough to believe that could ever work.

Think Hunt and the junior doctors. Hunt wants something for nothing. Or more accurately, more for less. And he has as much chance of getting it as UKIP.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please be careful when snipping. I didn't say that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Adrian scribbled

If we leave the EU, they get to make the rules to suit themselves. Who says they will want/need to arrange any deals with the UK. As far as they are concerned we can go f*ck ourselves.

If we sell anything to a non-VAT country, we don't charge VAT. Dunno what you're on about saying we'd have to pay 20% VAT on imports, as our VAT, if we keep the tax, would be separate from EU VAT.

Reply to
Jonno

You mean less hours for the doctors, which is what is supposed to be on the table.

Reply to
dennis

But the free trade alternative still has complete freedom of moment of people between countries which are part of the agreement due to the Treaty of Rome and that is one of the things that UKIP wants to get rid of.

Yes, but then you are stuck with the freedom of movement of people that comes with that.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Reply to
Blanco

Yes exactly. Not only have to pay them a fee for paying the import duty but also the VAT on their fee!

As I mentioned before (IANAL) but as I have not contract with the shippers I can't see why anything should be due to them - they never asked me first.

It's kind of like I went and washed someones car (without asking them) and then went and asked them to pay me for doing so. (no?)

Reply to
michael newport

We don't want that either.

We won't be "flouncing out". We asked them nicely if they'd like to change the rules. They have in effect said no. Well that's fine, in which case we'll activate our option under Lisbon or whatever it was to leave.

After that, we'll negotiate a free-trade deal with them. And no, it won't involve being like Norway, any more than Canada is like Norway. All those wanting to stay in keep bleating that we'll have to pay dosh, accept all the rules like free movement, and have no say in the matter. Well, I got news for you:

1) I don't see Canada accepting "free movement" 2) It would seem that we've tried to stop some EU rule or other 55 times, and 55 times been outvoted. So much for "having influence by being at the table". 3) AISB, several million EU jobs depend on trade with the UK. They gonna risk those? Unlikely. 4) If Juncker and the rest of them get pissy and start wanting to impose tariffs, that will just confirm what a fascist, undemocratic entity the EU has become.

So some of you should stop talking through your arses.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Some might say that "just to trade with the rest of Europe" is what we voted for in the 1974 (?) referendum. All the "greater political/legal ties" are things that have evolved since then and which we have never (until now) had chance to vote on.

Reply to
NY

In message , michael newport writes

IANAL either, but my understanding is that you are correct, you don't have a contract with the shipper - but the sender does.

Getting back to the question of paying duties first, to avoid a fee at this end, eBay offer such a service (Global Shipping Program) but that makes a few quid payable to Royal Mail look cheap.

Reply to
News

what favourable terms didn;t you see the program the other night where going to calais could save you 50% on a lot of products. Just what favourable terms to we get from being in europe ?

yea we get to buy cheap steel from china is that it ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Sure, but the freedom of movement of people between signatories is a very fundamental part of what the Treaty of Rome was about and that was certainly there at the time of the 74 referendum.

Sure, in theory its possible to negotiate a completely new agreement after leaving the EU which doesn?t involve any freedom of movement of people, but its far from clear if say those involved in the EEA would be interested in bothering with that just for Britain and there is the other massive problem that plenty of those in Britain actually want to be able to move to quite a few places in europe with complete freedom if they choose to do that. Hard to see that anyone much would be interested in any agreement that allows the British to go anywhere they like but none of their nationals get to go to Britain if they want to.

UKIP is completely off with the fairys on that IMO.

Reply to
Hilo Black

Where would free movement of people to and from Canada be, primarily?

Exactly.

Reply to
Adrian

The four basic freedoms - including movement - predated that by over twenty years.

Reply to
Adrian

I had an electioneering leaflet through the door the other day, for the Welsh Assembly elections.

God knows why, since I don't live in Wales, but that's a side issue.

It was complaining most vehemently about the forthcoming transatlantic trade deal, TTIP.

Guess which party it was from?

Yep, UKIP.

Reply to
Adrian

Quite.

I don't see how you can have free movement of goods, capital and particularly services without having free movement of people as well. That, after all, is why it's in what started off as basically a trade deal over coal and steel - and that was back before the massive rise of post-industrialisation and the service industry.

We all know the reality - UKIP want the freedom to retire to Spain or France (or Poland, Mr Griffin), and are quite happy for London to have the sixth-highest French population of any city (primarily due to Financial Services) - they just don't want it to apply to EVERYBODY... "Get on your bike and find work" said That Nice Mr Tebbitt. Just make sure you don't cross any national borders in doing so.

Because, after all, it's a lot easier for the far right's natural audience to blame their shortcomings on life on The Others than on themselves.

Reply to
Adrian