Imperial sized bricks .... Help.

Hi,
I'm looking for a source of imperial sized LBC frogged flettons. (Burnt red/brown appearance on face)
I can find any colour I like in Metric bricks, but they unfortunatly won't fit the wall they're going in.
Any ideas on brick reclamation places in West London/Hampshire ?
Of course if anyone has a spare pile of these lying around I only need 4 to replace some cracked brickework !
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Paul.

Are the metric sizes bigger or smaller? If they are bigger, you might be able to "adjust" them with an angle grinder.
Christian.

Metric are not quite as high -- don't know about other dimensions. A bricklayer did some work for me a while back which was to brick up a window to raise the bottom above worktop height. He tried to get imperial bricks but couldn't, and used metric ones. Personally, I would not have noticed if he didn't point it out, but he just made the mortar between the rows slightly thicker so the rows correctly line up with the original brickwork. Over a whole wall, it would probably be noticable, but for a few courses of bricks under a window ledge, it doesn't show at all.
--
Andrew Gabriel

"Christian McArdle" wrote

Heh. That'd be easy.
Any ideas how to grow them by 1/3" ;-)
I can lose the metric ones where the mortar gaps are small, but I have one to replace where the gaps are wide.
Cheers,
Paul.
Zymurgy wrote:

Michilmersh (sp?) bricks near Romsey hand make as required, there's also a reclamation yard in Romsey that may also be of use.
Niel.
"NJF" wrote

That'll be Michelmersh...
www.michelmersh.co.uk

My late father worked there for several years until his retirement.
I have very warm memories of the Michelmersh brick factory, Dad took me on a personal tour one time about 15 years ago.
When Dad passed away nearly 2 years ago I made a point of advising Michelmersh bricks, thinking they might want to send some flowers to his cremation. Blow me if on the day a whole coachload of his old work colleagues didn't turn up to pay their respects. That really was super impressive, you don't get that sort of thing happening these days.
PoP
Toolmaker wrote:

Thats them, out past rumsey...
Zymurgy wrote:

Hi
Good roofing places seem to hang on to a few when removing chimney stacks, so they have some to replace any damaged ones if they come to repair stacks in the same area.
Try the Yellow pages to see if any local ones can help?
HTH IanC