Imperial Size Bannister Upright Thingy?

I have a Victorian house and my bannister thingy has a broken upright. I can't remember what they are called - it's the turned decorative thing that supports the rail.

Anyone any idea where I could get a replacement off the shelf (apart from reclamation), or would I probably have to get one made?

Reply to
Maria

On 12 Mar 2005, Maria wrote

FWIW, I think it's "baluster". (Bannister refers to the rail+baulsters, if I remember it correctly.)

I think you'd be lucky to find one the right size and shape, even at a reclamation yard. Probably easier to find a local wood-turner to do it.

(Can you not glue it back together, or has a piece gone missing?)

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

In message , Maria writes

I looked around for a while (inc. reclaims) to try and find matching Victorian spindles and newel post, there's hundreds of designs out there, and none of them matched. Ended up getting a local wood turner to copy one of the undamaged spindles and turn a newel from a pattern I gave him, wasn't particularly costly.

Reply to
bof

How is it broken? If you have all the pieces you may be able to repair it.

Reply to
Rob Morley

That's because there were hundreds of makers. No point in shipping them in from a central factory as today - you got them made locally.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)