imperial/metric

are 1/2" to 15m/m and 3/4" to 22m/m copper pipe adapters available, I have tried B&Q warehouse and Wickes without any luck. Gordon

Reply to
Gordon

1/2" and 15mm pipes are so similar that you can use 15mm compression or solder fittings on 1/2" pipe without any problems. 22mm pipe is *slightly* bigger than 3/4". You can use 22mm compression fittings on 3/4" pipe with special olives - with a slightly smaller ID. You can get these at a decent PM but maybe not at the sheds.

If you want to use solder fittings to join 22mm and 3/4" pipe, you need special fittings whose two ends are a slightly different size. Again, you can get them from a PM - or probably on-line from the likes of BES.

Reply to
Set Square

Or if needs must, run a pipe cutter round a 22mm fitting once or twice... not enough to cut into it, but enough to put a dent into the circumferance and reduce the diameter enough to solder it! (DAMHIK)

Reply to
John Rumm

Compression yes, but I have experienced the odd failure when using 13mm fittings on 12.7mm (1/2") pipe.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Indeed - if SSq had left off "without any problems" then OK. I have found it necessary on many occasions to abrade (with steel wool) 1/2" pipe down quite a lot to get 15mm solder fittings on. They will go eventually though. If they are too tight a fit then the solder won't flow properly and the joint will be suspect for ever more so it's worth working them to an easy fit.

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I'm not sure which pipes you are talking about. Half inch pipe isn't 12.7mm. The 'half-inch' refers to the nominal bore, so that the OD is larger than this - and very close to that of 15mm (not 13mm) pipe.

Reply to
Set Square

| In article , Set Square | wrote: | | > 1/2" and 15mm pipes are so similar that you can use 15mm compression or | > solder fittings on 1/2" pipe without any problems. | | Compression yes, but I have experienced the odd failure when using 13mm | fittings on 12.7mm (1/2") pipe.

Yorkshire and other soldered fittings *no*. There used it be special soldered fittings but I doubt they sell them any more. Always use compression fittings to join imperial to metric.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Too harsh, they (15mm fitting onto 1/2" pipe that is) will go with a bit of effort and quite successfully. Most of my radiators are fitted like this (1/2" installarion converted to 15mm then onto rad).

Yes I bought some not long ago, you can still get them I believe. The 22mm to 3/4" ones are easier to find (as you can't do without) but you can still get the small ones, I believe.

Easier but not better (but that's not an imperial metric thing!)

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Last time I tried, I found end feed 1/2 - 15mm and 3/4 - 22mm adaptors at my local PM.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes sorry, I'm in pratt mode.

I have had failures when using 15mm couplings on older 1/2" pipe. I now only use new pipe for everything and have had no failures at all.

SWMBO bought a mixer tap from Ebay. Nice bit of kit. Then you notice French markings for Froid et Chaud. Ne problem, mais. . .

Apparently the French go in for 12mm couplings and flexible hoses the size of a pencil. I managed to get some adapters from Plumb Centre and it is all OK apart from the hot flow, which is slower than I would like.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

sell end feed 15mm to 1/2" for 21p or solder ring for £1.50 odd. Also 3/4" to 22mm as well. Last one I got from Jayhard (when they existed) a couple of years ago and when I found I was one short on a Sunday, from Homebase of all places for a rip of cost.

Reply to
Ian_m