Impact Drivers

A "sort of trade outlet" I agree with - the smaller odd-jobbers in rusty old vans tend to go there - although there are good prices to be had on some things, it's almost never worth driving around and looking. If they had a prices website, it would be useful.

It doesn't really have to be straight.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

What are you on about, girls? When did you ever need a 6" screw?? Ulp! I'll leave the reply to others.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

More confusion. The impact drivers a 1/4" hex shank. The 1/2" is for impact wrenches. Sort of similar, but quite the same.

Impact drivers can drive screws and drill. They are small and light and beat a drill/driver hands down. The downside is the noise and heafty price. Only pros use them, so only the big rip-off makers produce them,.

It is clear you haven't driven 6" screws. Or smaller screws into hard wood.

The cordless is the one in question, not the air guns.

the price will drop.

It is clear you just don't know and you wrote the Power Tools FAQ? Read my posts, the links and Mark's posts.

When my drill/driver dies, if the price has dropped I will consider an "impact driver" drill with a detachable chuck. Always been on my wish list.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Richard you must not worry, you know it gives you brainache.

** snip senility **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You wouldn't.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is clear Richard here doesn't know what an impact driver is. As do most here on this thread.

** snip senility **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, I bought some wood there and it was straight as a die.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Recently I drove in about 300 them. I used a pilot hole, drill/driver to start and a Kress/Wickes SDS, without hammer action, to slowly drive the screw in. The Bosch drill/driver could not cope. An 18v drill/driver could not drive in a 4 or 6" screw without a pilot hole, an impact driver can, doing the job in a fraction of the time.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Perhaps not for your standards.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ssed tool-a-holic

Ah, but would I ever want to be cured ;-)

I was walking around the car boot sale the other day, and picked up yet another socket. SWMBO says 'why are you buying another one of those' ? And my response is 'Cos it's Britool/Snap-On/Stahlwille etc !

So does anyone need a 1 =BC" Britool socket. I have about 3 at last count ;)

Cheers,

P=2E

Reply to
zymurgy

Not surprisingly you've never been to a decent tool shop, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wrong, different tool and intended use. Do read

try and keep up

-
Reply to
Mark

So you've never actually been to a Wicks either, then?

Their 'timber' is the worst - and that's saying something - of all the sheds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk typed

Its got nothing to do with screwfix, that's what the manufactures call them. Did you even bother to look at any of the links I provided, if you had you would realise that there is more then one tool on the market now called an Impact Driver with completely different intended use, and not to confuse either of the above with an Impact Wrench which you seem to be.

Why, most tradesmen seem to be able to cope with new tools and the resulting terminology even if you cant.

Quite possibly, but obviously considerably more then you, I think you should stick to bickering with drivel, and then I can safely put you back in my killfile.

-
Reply to
Mark

Only if it was a Thick Prat behind the counter who had never heard of these.

Mark

They are essentially the same, in principle at least. You can buy adaptors from 1/2" square drive to hex. Would make the tool less wieldy, but the performance would be near enough the same.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't need to look at maker's websites to know what an impact driver is

- and neither, apparently, do the vast majority of others replying to this thread. I don't give a toss if the name has been hi-jacked. An impact driver will continue to mean what it is. If you want to call it an impact drill driver that would be ok. But it's basically just an impact wrench with a different chuck.

In my 'trade' we make very sure not to call two different things by the same name. Would lead to all sorts of confusion... And the impact driver has been around for a very long time - long before cordless tools were invented.

Besides, this is a DIY group and we like to call things by their correct names. Or thingie, of course.

Why do you think anyone is interested about the contents of your killfile?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

'Excuse me, pal'

'Yes, sir?'

I'd like one of those thingies you whack with a hammer to loosen tight screws or nuts'

'Would sir mean a chisel or punch, sir?'

'No, it takes either a screw bit or a socket and sort of impacts it round to free it'

'Ah - sir means an impact driver'

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You wouldn't.

** snip senility **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Right.

It is clear by what you write, that you only have half a clue at best. From the above link, which I have given already...

Cordless Impact Drivers vs. Cordless Drills - How Do They Compare?

"Although they look like a smaller replica, don't confuse a cordless impact driver with a standard cordless drill or hammerdrill. The biggest difference is inside. Unlike a cordless drill - which creates continuous in-line torque - a cordless impact driver uses an internal spring-loaded pulsating cam and gear mechanism to create rotational torque. In simple terms, the effect is similar to that of a hammer wrapping on a wrench to loosen a stubborn lug nut, only faster."

Cordless Impact Wrenches

"The basic difference between cordless impact drivers and cordless impact wrenches is the chuck configuration. Impact drivers have a chuck which accepts 1/4 inch hex-shank bits for screwdriving, drilling, and nut driving. A cordless impact wrench uses a 3/8 inch or a 1/2 inch square anvil primarily for driving impact sockets. In addition, the wrenches develop more torque. Today's cordless impact wrenches, like the ones from DeWALT, now have enough power to rival many corded electric wrenches, a big plus when you're up on a lift away from an outlet. The type of work you're doing will dictate which category to choose - driver or wrench. For example, if most of your work involves driving self tapping sheet metal screws or deck screws, an impact driver would be right for you. If most of your work involves driving large lag bolts or bolting pipe couplings, a dedicated cordless impact wrench would be a better choice. Although a cordless impact driver can be fitted with a socket adaptor, the larger square shaft of the impact wrench will prove more durable for heavy duty applications."

So, "Impact Divers", do hard driving and can do drilling too. Some have a detyachable chuck. One model is switchable from a dril/driver to an impact driver. Check drill specs before buying

Some "Impact Wrenchs" have fixed 3/8" or 1/2" shanks to take sockest ad the likes.

Some "Impact Drivers" may have 3/8 or 1/2 adaptors, so it can be used as both. The "drill/driver - Impact Driver" Panasonic can be used for all functions with suitable adaptors. Not cheap, but maybe worth it if all functions are used regularly.

Now you know, you can update the FAQ.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel