Failure modes of thermostats allow failure to occur to the on or off position.
When installing an immersion, it is a good idea to select one with two thermostats. One will be a normal one set to the required temperature. The other should be a manual reset one set 10 degrees higher. This way, the consequences of thermostat failure are reduced. Unvented cylinders are required to have such immersions, but they are a good idea for any cylinder.
Christian.
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:29:11 +0000, Christian McArdle wrote:

What's more the second thermostat is required to be of the manual reset type.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Isn't that what I said?
Christian.
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:45:38 +0000, Christian McArdle wrote:

Sorry, my fault.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:18:01 +0000, Sam Norris wrote:

The water would boil, the space where the cold tank would fill with much steam/condensation/humidity the cold tank would heat up.
Eventually if the cold tank was inadequately suppported and/or missing its lid it might collapse and drop scalding water below. This is the way someone was killed recently.
However the noise is enough to make any resonable curious person switch off the heater.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk