Immersion heater question

Hello

I have an issue with my immersion heater I was hoping the group might be able to help me with. I am on Economy 7 and since the clocks went back, the immersion heater is not heating the water up to it's normal temperature. I am not sure if it is a problem with the heating element or the timer on the heater, I have had a look at the thermostat and it is set to 50.

Have you got any ideas about to fix it please?

TIA M

Reply to
m.deeprose

50C is a little low. It should be set to between 55C and 60C to ensure effective Legionnaires' protection. If you have young children and wish to reduce the chance of scalding, then you may need to fit an additional thermostatic mixing valve to reduce the temperature at the tap without affecting the water storage temperature. However, this would probably also require you to fit a pump, unless you've got a good head from the tank.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Christian,

Thanks for the advice, I have turned up the thermostat to 60c as suggested. Are there aren't risks in doing this ? Do I run the risk of overheating anything ?

Kind regards M

Reply to
m.deeprose

If you haven't altered the thermostat it's unlikely to be that. If the immersion is connected to a timeclock-controlled heating consumer unit and you have a separate timer on the immersion heater controller, check that they are synchronised at the same (not necessarily right) time.

It sounds as though the two timers are no longer in synch and so the water is getting an hour's less heating.

It could also be that the incoming water is colder now, and simply takes longer to get up to temp.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No. 55C to 60C is the recommended for biological safety. However, as this is a temperature that could scald, it is also recommended to install thermostatic mixing valves if there are any vulnerable residents, such as children or elderly people.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle