immersion heater fault or economy heater fault

Can anyone help on this one. During a complete bathroom fit-out (this is where the hot water cylinder lives) - a new copper cylinder was fitted complete with a 3kw Resettable Long Life Immersion Heater 27" incalloy type from Screwfix (part no 63692). After commisioning the system all systems OK so it was time to test the Immersion Heater, which is run off an Economy 7 Horstmann Timer (old model - probably 20 years old - of the current Screwfix part 44419) and the original supply cable. Due to the time of day the 1 hour boost control was used to test element heating. Result after that time - YIPPEE HOT WATER.

Next morning run hot taps - NO hot water after the timed system should have cut-in. Due to having back-up water heating from the solid fuel back boiler another test was not undertaken for a couple of days. Re-test time on boost again, this no hot water. Isolated supply and checked supply connections to Immersion Heater - removed all connections and cut back all wires to make new fresh connections and reattached to terminals. Next removed front panel of timer to check connections - all good no breaks/loose wiring. Reconnect supply and test - power lights on (ON) RED at the timer but still no hot water.

Any Ideas? - bearing in mind the timer and hot water system has been out of commission for about 4 months - my thoughts are the timer as its old and maybe the initial power-up and run finished off the supply feed to IH cable. OR is there something I need to reset on the IH - If so what and how.

I deperately do not want to change the IH out of the tank as I would need to remove the tank from it's location due to lack of headroom.

Reply to
bigbadbade

On 25 Jan 2007 06:15:11 -0800 someone who may be "bigbadbade" wrote this:-

The immersion heater should have come with instructions on how to reset the (new fangled, resettable) thermostat.

After checking that, you need to follow the cabling with a suitable meter (or other test instrument), testing where the electricity gets to. Eventually you should find somewhere it should have got to that it doesn't. Beware that if the neutral is broken somewhere then you may have the supply voltage on the neutral conductor.

To test the off peak supply you need to do this at the appropriate time, early in the morning.

Reply to
David Hansen

In message , bigbadbade writes

Dave had a cut-out problem. On the only one I have seen, there is a tiny square hole in the face of the thermostat. Isolate the circuit and give it a poke.

There is a neat hole in the loft floor directly above ours:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb