Imagine my delight!!

Picture the scene, a newly fitted 'hidden' cistern all boxed in and ready to plumb up to and tile in. I go to connect the water feed to the fill valve only to find none of my BSP fitiings match it. It is bigger than 1/2" (standard) and smaller than 3/4". So of to the plumbers merchant I go to get something suitable, three PM's all said "the computer says no", none had seen anything like it. In the last merchants an old guy comes in looks at it and says "Chuck that f*****g in the bin and put a standard Fluidmaster type on. Sh*tty Chinese sh*te". He had a few of these in various toilets he had fitted and done just that. So of I go home with a 1/2" Fluidmaster valve in hand and job done. Just out of interest anybody know what thread it could be it measures O/D = 23.4mm Core = 21.8mm and it is 14 TPI?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

I don't have the answer, but I've had similar problems with sink wastes.

SWMBO bought some fancy Italian underslung sinks for the new granite worktops from a UK Internet site. They came with matching wastes. I come to hook it all up, and find that there is no trap available in this country which will make up to the waste. At our local plumbers merchant, as soon as I walked in holding it he eye-balled it and said "Fancy Italian sink, huh? No chance. Just chuck the waste away and replace it with a standard one." Which I did. I was one of very many he had seen recently with this problem.

Was a bit of a hassle, though, since it was difficult to get one with the correct overflow fittings too.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

That ain't standard!

Reply to
Al

???

Reply to
John

The message from "John" contains these words:

What did you measure it with? The figures you quote are close to 5/8 BSP:

tpi 14 major 22.911 minor 20.587

Reply to
Roger

Measured with a vernier caliper in not very good light so might be slightly wrong. 5/8" BSP would make sense as it is between 1/2" and 3/4" BSP but I have never seen a 5/8" BSP fitting for use in a domestic situation, but I will be educated if anybody else has.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Sorry, guess I was stating the b*&$£y obvious there!

A link for you:-

size ain't here so.......it ain't standard.

Al

Reply to
Al

Could there be an American influence here? I had a similar problem on a truck I owned until recently, the hydraulic fittings were BSP, the air fittings were NPT, that's the American stuff. Not far out, but not interchangeable.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

The message from "John" contains these words:

Neither have I but the Chinese could perhaps be forgiven for thinking that any standard thread would be acceptable.

Reply to
Roger

The message from "Al" contains these words:

Am I missing something as I don't see any reference to BSP threads?

Reply to
Roger