Imagine

Most of us are aware that generalisations are only generalisations

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'd agree in general.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Dont think I was even aware of MS then. I do remember having access to a homemade scanner though, it had steppers and radio tuning string loops mounted on sheet wood, with a pen as the pixel scanner. It impressed nearly everyone. ISTR it took most of an hour to scan a page in B&W.

NT

Reply to
meow2222
40 years ago the Japanese were making Nikon SLR cameras which had already become the standard tool for professional reportage photographers. Nikon Nikkor lenses were among the best in the world. Japanese ,motorcycles were recognosed as being the finest engineered in the world. Tat? many of the the Nikon cameras bought then are still in use today.
Reply to
lemmy

Please eff off as you are a plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The Prius has a high resale price.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

OTOH, I was sitting in front of a Xerox "Star" workstation in the early 80's, with a 2 x A4 sized (B&W) screen, 1 Mb of memory, a 1 MHz processor which ran a windowing and office automation system still superior to Windows in some ways.

the date at the top of the screen).

We pissed ourselves laughing when we first saw a Windows machine.

How wrong we were. :o(

Reply to
Huge

FX: Waves!

My Sun workstation and associated UPS weighs several hundred kg....

Reply to
Huge

All generalisations are wrong.

Reply to
Huge

And the motherboards which blew if you had the temerity to attach a mouse when powered up?

Reply to
Rod

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@care2.com saying something like:

Except when they are misleading bollocks, of course.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@care2.com saying something like:

Except when they are misleading bollocks, of course.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You clearly have no clue about these advances. This is sad. When someone laughs at something they are not familiar with, there is usually a fool behind the laugh.

Supercapacitors combined with a battery can enhance a hybrid vehicle until batteries get developed even further - or supercapacitors advance further.

A supercapacitor can store electrical energy as can a battery. Capacitors store very little though, until supercapacitors came around. A battery has two state changes. Electrical to chemical to store the charge, then back to electrical energy again. Each state change adds inefficiencies. Supercapacitors are electrical energy storage only.

Batteries cannot be charged fast or discharged fast. Supercapacitors can. They can take almost all the kinetic braking energy of a vehicle and give it back off in acceleration, without any state changes as the energy is stored in electrical energy. That is one clear advantage.

Battery technology is progressing at a rapid pace. They are becoming smaller with denser energy storage. Supercapacitors are racing ahead in technology. These can store kinetic energy from braking.

The supercapacitors take in nearly all the kinetic energy of braking and slowing down and can immediately give it back off. The vehicles are stopped by magnets which create electrical energy. Supercapacitors will immediately take all of a charge and give the lot back off immediately too - unlike batteries. They do not go wrong, deteriorate and will outlast the vehicle.

One US company say they have approached the size/energy storage density of a battery. If this company does achieve its claims, batteries could be done away with on vehicles.

Existing Supercapacitors hold 25 times less charge than a battery of similar physical size. These breakthroughs may mean they hopefully will be about equal in this respect. Advances are so good that it is feasible that supercapacitors can just replace the battery set on a hybrid altogether to give performance on existing hybrid vehicles. However the aim is to make ful;l 100% electric vehicles. Supercapacitors can also charge up in seconds from the grid.

Supercapacitors have great potential for use in elevators where the downward energy is stored to push the elevator back up. This would make a huge impact in the energy running of millions of elevators. Also in the large water and gas mains pumps, which can take a large draw on grid current - like at half time in a cup final. Supercapacitors will alleviate the draw.

"China is experimenting with a new form of electric bus (capabus) that runs without powerlines using power stored in large onboard electric double-layer capacitors, which are quickly recharged whenever the electric bus stops at any bus stop (under so-called electric umbrellas), and fully charged in the terminus. A few prototypes were being tested in Shanghai in early 2005. In

2006, two commercial bus routes began to use electric double-layer capacitor buses; one of them is route 11 in Shanghai."

In 2001 and 2002, VAG, the public transport operator in Nuremberg, Germany tested a hybrid bus which uses a diesel-electric drive system with electric double-layer capacitors.

Since 2003 Mannheim Stadtbahn in Mannheim, Germany has operated an LRV (light-rail vehicle) which uses electric double-layer capacitors to store braking energy.

of supercapacitors can be installed in electric train systems storing kinetic energy in banks near the lines, not on the train vehicle.

MIT Builds Efficient Nanowire Storage to Replace Car Batteries

Supercapacitors Will Be Your Hybrid's New Best Friend
"The Zenn Motor Company is waiting until a new power storage technology is ready before it releases the vehicle, called the cityZENN, which will achieve 80mph speeds and have a range of 250 miles."

Rechargeable in five minutes, the vehicle will use ultracapacitors from Texas-based EEStor instead of conventional lithium or lead acid batteries."

"Based on these claims, a full charge should give the capacitor sufficient energy to drive a small car 300 miles (480 km). Although the technology should allow very fast charging (e.g., 5 minutes), "
have not come up with the goods yet - we shall see.

are looking good indeed, and the Shanghai bus means that the bus gets charged up at each bus stop, so no ugly expensive cables with masts about and no tram lines.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

When people such as you blindly quote advertising blurb without a clue about how it works or not it's no surprise sane readers take the piss.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Eff off you are total plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Thought your recent absence meant you'd had treatment since you seemed to have stopped posting twaddle afterwards. If it did the medication has worn off. Please seek help again. You know it makes sense.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think he means super-converters. A big difference from a super-capacitor. Also a totally different technique of releasing demand for power from battery packs.

An example of super-capacitor technology here:

an example of a super resonant converter here:

an example of both techniques.

Reply to
BigWallop

No a super-capacitor. Read the links.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Eff off you are total plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I have read the linked pages, and I think you should do the same. I am also aware of the technologies used in the production of such products, and the scientific theoris that makes them what they are. A super-capacitor is only now capable of producing / storing enough power to light a torch bulb. Definitely not enough to run an electric car, unless its a toy you bought yourself as a xmas present.

Reply to
BigWallop