Illegal house extension demolished

Not for a domestic exension, no. Or was a business being run there?

dg

Reply to
dg

In message , IMM writes

You hit the nail on the head there John

Reply to
geoff

There are planning laws so that people cannot build all over the countryside without proper consideration. Just look at all the ribbon development that took place before the Town & Country Planning Act.

-- Mike Drew Yate/Sodbury and Dodington Liberal Democrats Lib Dem Councillor since 1983

Reply to
Mike Drew

The town and country planning act was a tool for large landowners. It is Stalinist. It has acted totally against the ordinary man. 2/3 of the price of the average UK home is the land value. BTW, only 7,5% of the UK is built on, rural and urban inc' gardens. We have the smallest and most expensive homes in the western world. The UK has a "surplus" of land. See Who Owns Britain by Kevin Cahill.

You appears to think that building well designed largish homes is bad.

Reply to
IMM

Cue station jingle tape no. 23.......

.... or to put it another way, "Do you want the five minute argument, or the full half hour?"

If any of the other listed newsgroups would like to borrow uk.d-i-y's resident troll, I am sure that he would be pleased to oblige. However, he's likely to want to discuss heat banks in uk.legal and buying two cheap tools as an alternate to one good one in uk.gov.local.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

LOL. How witty they are in Sarf Landan.

Reply to
IMM

Are they?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You must know Del-Boy

Reply to
IMM

I think that you are looking at a different country from my UK!

Reply to
Sandy Morton

House van still be built on the vast majority of the land, even national parks.

You don't have an argument. You said that 50% of the UK "cannot" be built on, which is total stupidity. Taking your argument Switzerland would not exist.

You said "around 50% of the UK cannot be built on due to its topography". What facts do you have to support this deep faith.

Reply to
IMM

a> The town and country planning act was a tool for large landowners.

Large land owners don't need planning regulations, they _own_the_land_. If they don't want houses built on it they _just_don't_build_them_.

a> It is Stalinist.

This from someone advocating forced collectivisation?

Reply to
Richard Caley

IT must be. My UK is the one between the North Sea and the Atlantic Ocean.

Reply to
IMM

It isn't.

Reply to
IMM

They are? I thought only the 1947 T&C Planning act was Stalinist.

Reply to
IMM

a> It is Stalinist.

a> It isn't.

Please ask your other peronality to post, we were talking to him.

Reply to
Richard Caley

No. Having flown over much of the UK, I can confirm that the majority is pretty flat, with some exceptional areas in parts of Wales and Scotland. I can also confirm that the vast majority is open fields and woodland.

I would be extemely surprised if as much as 10% was impossible to build on due to topography.

Obviously the major road systems run between villages, towns and cities, which gives the car driver an incorrect perception of the ratio between open space and built-up areas.

Reply to
Cynic

Very astute observation and very correct. Get off the A roads and onto the back B roads and tracks and only the odd falling down barn you see. Get out and walk and sometimes you are lucky to see the odd building. The UK is very open and unbuilt upon country.

I would be extremely surprised if 3-4% was impossible to build on due to topography. After all the highest mountain in Wales has a railway running up to the top.

Reply to
IMM

You are a very confused person.

Reply to
IMM

True (and some of us like living in the more "open and unbuilt upon" parts).

How many people, though, would want to live at the top of the highest mountain in Wales?

Even if the UK's planning laws were revolutionized, I imagine that the results would be even greater concentrations of population - for example, every piece of open land within easy commuting distance of London (and Manchester, and B'ham, and ...) would be built on.

Julian

Reply to
Julian Fowler

And that is true.

Put executive hillside homes with dramatic views and they will be lining up my boy. Lining up. With modern communications you don't need to be right in the work place any more. That is a point the 1947 T&C planning act does not address and curtails advancement.

The "urban spawl" propaganda emotive statements again. I doubt that would happen at all. The drift away from major urban centres is still going on in the UK. The UK was the first to concentrate the population in urban centres the Industrial Revolution and the first to de-urbanise after WW2. This process is still going on. For example, Liverpool was about 1 million strong just after WW2, it is now about 550,000. Virtually all other cities have seen the same population reductions too, including London.

People want easy access to open spaces, space immediately around them and easy access to facilities. Many, mainly those without families, want to be out in the fields and woods. the problem is they won't let you build on subsidised open fields that only contribute 3% to the economy. people actually want to be a part of the countryside, but that are prevented from doing so.

As only 7.5% of the UKs land mass is built on, urban and rural, then if the urban footprint was doubled, that is still only 15% of the land mass. The likelihood of reaching 10% is very slim, never mind 15%.

Reply to
IMM