IKEA to charge £1 parking fee at its new Edmonton store

I bow to your greater knowledge.

Why am I not surprised? But you did say 'hone', which is normally something one aspires to. If you aspire to something it must be desirable.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes - so did we! But they were easy to replace.

97,000 miles doesn't seem much for a car's lifetime though.

You should be so lucky!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah, competition isn't in our vocaublary. You're talking about the Type thingy I suppose.

The designing and building is almost more important than the flying for Spouse. He doesn't mind pranging because it gives him more opportunity for hand on work.

You're too kind :-)

No, we don't represent the majority, I didn't say we did. And yes, there are fewer than in the past. That's a pity for the others, I think. They go to work to earn money to pay others to do what they could do better themselves ... I've never understood it.

I know ...

... but would he be able to shoe oxen?

I've never had one of those.

Never had one of those.

No, I do most of the waashing up - that which doesn't go in the dishwasher. He doesn't do it as well as I like.

It's all relative. A washing machine comes down to rubber bands (belts) and is hardly going to able to get to Titan.

I wouldn't tackle even a simple pc though, nor a digital camera. I know the limits for a little woman.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh yes, you can still use the old common sense / experience technique if you are lucky and he still does that (like the lady that brought her Shogun in complaining that the heater hadn't been working for a while. My mate found the was no coolant in the engine .. ?)

It's strange to me that with most (all?) vehicles today I believe they still only *log* engine faults, so even though your Pug put up a fault light there was no audit trail re it's origin? Also, being intermittent I doubt any 'gaget' would detect a fault when it wasn't there?

My washing machine (I think) I have just repaired was fairly packed with sensors, electric valves, stats, control switches etc and more ribbon cables / connectors than any PC I've worked on. I would have liked a schematic but even without that, a bit of logical disconnection helped me find the problem (motor hr path to earth).

Luckily this wasn't a digital machine as it might have just come up with a bogus diagnostic code ;-)

My mate came home to 2" water on the kitchen floor and a smug washing machine sitting there flashing code 666 (etc) at him. When he checked in the book for that code it said 'Pump failed' ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Doh! Don't you hate it when that happens!

When I was about 16 I was building a disco strobe on said table when Mum spots Dad coming up the garden path earlier than expected.

"Quick, get all that stuff cleared away" she said and went to grab a handfull of components .. one of them being the live Zenon tube ... (ouch) ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Is that a real 'person / description' Mary? I know we use the term to describe a rogue / cheeky person but I don't know the history?

So, crossbows it is then?

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Arise sweet maiden .. ;-)

Because you know me too well ;-)

But you did say 'hone', which is normally something

Hmm, possibly. I would use 'hone' as in 'fine tune' without any thought about it's desirability? One could hone ones 'mucking out' skills?

If you aspire to something it must be desirable.

I aspire to gain your knowledge Mary so yes ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well done, you passed that test Mary. ;-)

You did ... ;-)

Fact is, I can't afford one nor have we the facilities.

Shame .. that would probably be good fun / handy?

Yep .. what was I saying about attitude and observation .. ?

I offer that the position of a vehicle is *often* a *better* indicator of a vehicles intent than an incorrectly set or non cancelled indicator.So we will have to agree to differ Mary. ;-)

Well that's true (the get a life bit) .. but I'm forced to used that roundabout every time I have to go anywhere as they have now blocked off the only other two access points to this area .. (obviously none of the Council officers or planners live this way) ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Of all those I would opt for the Riley, by far. Although I did buy two brand-new Beetles in the 1970s. (I worked at Ford, natch!) The Mayflower was a weird beast, all angles and sharp corners. I reckon the Humber would have been great, though, for flatpacks. It was massive.

MM

Reply to
MM

Only if it eats all its rusk and then goes to bed early.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Maybe there's an aftermarket here. One would search for IKEA customers who still have their assembly "drawings", then turn these into 3D graphics of some kind. If shopping at IKEA became synonymous with visiting XYZ web site afterwards to play back or download a clip, one could charge a quid AND they'd get free parking!

MM

Reply to
MM

Hang about, this was the 1970s. Women weren't allowed in the workshops. At least, I never saw one. On the way to the canteen, I'd ask, what's that, and they'd say, 'ne Frau. And I'd think, ah, now I know what I'm missing.

MM

Reply to
MM

Oh, I would if I could. Swallow my pride and all that. You still can't get away from the fact that much of their stuff is cheap and useful, yet doesn't look like MFI or DFS.

MM

Reply to
MM

But are they saying they are having to levy this £1 charge on behalf of the council?

MM

Reply to
MM

Don't get me started! (At Edmonton you'll have to pay a quid to find out anyway.) However, their open prawn sandwiches are very tasty. I had their fish and chips recently and the fish was badly overdone. Chips were ok. Peas were like bullets and kept shooting off the plate. You can fill up your coffee mug as often as you like providing you stay in the restaurant. Their cakes are nice. All in all, not a bad restaurant, though I can only speak for Wembley.

MM

Reply to
MM

I thought the one that went (or it was on mine) was the threaded bush at the *bottom* because it was taking half the weight of the front of the vehicle (being pulled down by the torsion bar) wheras the one at the top was just connected to the Stronberg dashpot damper?

I managed to get mine home by jacking the joint back together then binding the upper and lower arms together with nylon rope made into a Spanish Windlass.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Correct. People didn't grease them often enough. Fortunately they usually failed under low speed manouvering.

Reply to
Huge

Maybe it was the one at the bottom - it's been 40 years!

MM

Reply to
MM

Ah, but the refund makes it all right again. I would not complain if IKEA refunded the £1 charge.

MM

Reply to
MM

G r e a s e t h e m ... ? ;-) You are right though, and why most manufacturers stopped fitting grease nipples on their components?

Fortunately they usually

Luckily mine did .. I was going round a gentle right hander when the front left wheel buried itself in the wheelarch, bringing me to a bouncy but sudden halt!

Fun times ... ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to