Ikea sinks

Are Ikea sinks compatible with standard waste fittings? I seem to remember that their wastes are bottle traps and I'd prefer to go for a "traditional" bend. Knowing that Ikea tend to be a bit non standard with some dimensions (like needing 620 mm worktops for the base units) I thought I'd better try to find out first because it'll be a 160 mile round trip to go back for the fittings if I need them.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

No.

I used the Ikea waste fittings to couple up to the sink, but sawed off after that and connected to standard UK trap with washing machine inlets, etc. Spent a while rummaging through waste fittings in a local plumber, to find bits which were a near enough match to saw up and solvent weld to the Ikea bits (which don't solvent weld very well).

Also meant I could position the u-trap at the back of the cupboard, for minimum interferance with the storage space.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

My Ikea Varde sink unit came with a not-too-well-thought-out arrangement with a flexi-hose to match 40mm waste.

Flexi-hose waste is a recipe for trouble. I'd suggest chuck it away. But, AFAIK, the sink waste mountings are standard modern to take strainer-basket waste fittings.

Reply to
RubberBiker

I wondered if it was a misstype and you had left the 'T' out of the subject ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had this image of a blue and yellow cuboid gradually submerging into the North Sea.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I got the following good advice from this forum when fitting my son's kitchen:

" I got a standard basket waste by 'Pyramis' from the local Magnet Trade counter for less than a fiver. Take care to get one with a rectangular overflow fitting if using an Ikea sink with such overflow.

No doubt Ikea will use the returned item for its original purpose which would appear to be that of collecting s**en samples from elephants " This waste worked well.

Reply to
chudford