Ikea Li-ion SDS drill

Yup. Does it wobble too? And the drill point now being so far away from where you hold the drill makes it more difficult to position.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

/ And the drill point now being so far away from where you hold the drill makes it more difficult to position./q

Use your other hand (at the same time)?!

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Reminds me of a house in Frogland. Walls (inside) were stone with a rough, uneven, gritty finish/render. The grit was such that even a 6mm masonery bit could be deflected. The stones weren't dressed on the faces - the worst I hit about an inch in was around 45 deg. from 'flat'. Tryng to get holes in the right place and right distance apart...! Even just one wasn't the right distance apart!

Reply to
PeterC

... an RSJ.

Reply to
Huge

The more you post the more I think you've never used a power drill in your life.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Notice you've not answered my question. You'd not have bothered asking yours if you had experience of this setup.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

/Notice you've not answered my question. You'd not have bothered asking yours if you had experience of this setup. /q

You didn't answer mine why should I answer yours! :-)

Touche!

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Do you use it all the time?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

/> >

Do you use it all the time? /q

Probly a lot more than someone spending 40 quid on an Ikea one?.....

:-)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

No they are not.

Not used one. I wouldn't buy anything that takes a few hours to charge. It isn't an SDS and there is nothing in the manual that says it is.

Having an SDS tool holder is useful for holding SDS tools -if you have diff iculty in putting things down where you can reach them easily and haven't g ot a nail pouch. It isn't much good at turning impact rotary drills into pn eumatic ones though -no matter what bits come with it.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I did wonder if it were a true SDS or simply used SDS bits. Seemed strange to me it doesn't say it's SDS anywhere in the description.

If it's not true SDS makes it a silly tool - considering it would seem many on here consider it a good buy as a one and only cordless drill to do everything.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

t isn't an SDS and there is nothing in the manual that says it is.

fficulty in putting things down where you can reach them easily and haven't got a nail pouch. It isn't much good at turning impact rotary drills into pneumatic ones though -no matter what bits come with it.

It seems odd that a company as parsimonious as Ikea would go to the expense of adding an SDS chuck when their target market likely has no knowledge of SDS and therefore wouldn't consider it a selling point.

Has any company made an "SDS" drill that features only a tool holder and no t a pneumatic action? What particular form of words would Ikea have to use to indicate this was a genuine SDS drill?

Anyway, the online manual states an impact force of 1J. Doesn't that mean it's SDS? Traditional non-SDS impact drills have a stated impact rate and no stated impact force, don't they? The Bosch Uneo (which is SDS) has an i mpact force of 0.5J by comparison.

I don't have a dog in the fight but the stridency with which you contradict me suggests that Ingvar Kamprad tipped you out of your pram as a child.

Reply to
mike

Well. it's a lot more expensive than a basic cordless from others, so why would anyone who knew nothing about drill specs buy it at all?

It struck me as odd there was no mention of SDS in the actual description. Since to those who do know what it is, could be a big plus.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

/Well. it's a lot more expensive than a basic cordless from others, /q

Snip

Oh OK then :-)...

A casual Google shop for 'cordless hammer drill li' brings up nothing cheaper than £39...

Shurely it must be OKish, after all you've dug this huge hole with it! :-)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Lidl had a very nice Li-Ion cordless drill recently at 29.99. Ideal for assembling flat pack furniture as the chuck comes off leaving a standard hex drive. But doesn't wobble around when in place. ;-)

Have you bought the Ikea one yet since you're such a fan of it?

Or are you just a window shopper?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How rough do you treat your drills to make all their chucks wobble :-P

Reply to
Andy Burns

Have you got an SDS with a plug in normal chuck which doesn't? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

/Lidl had a very nice Li-Ion cordless drill recently at 29.99. Ideal for assembling flat pack furniture as the chuck comes off leaving a standard hex drive. But doesn't wobble around when in place. ;-) /q

No SDS then? Hammer? Bought one? Tested it? Nah didn't think so....

Seems if anyone is a window shopper it's you - deciding if these sorts of things are worthy or to be derided solely by their price & appearance? (Once the latter has been clarified by others who are open minded enough to look properly).

/Have you bought the Ikea one yet since you're such a fan of it?

Or are you just a window shopper? /q

I refer the member to the answers already provided.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

In article , JimK wrote: [Rubbish software quoting corrected]

If you read an earlier post of mine here today you'd know I do have one. And it's a great little drill. No SDS or hammer. For the times I need to drill hard masonry I'll use one designed for that job.

That's a no, then. Are you on commission from Ikea?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, I just put a flat wood bit in the normal chuck, the spear-tip of the drill is 9" from the nose* of the drill body, under no-load it spins without any wobble, by hand I can only waggle the tip by about 1mm from side-to-side, to my mind that's a "yes".

I've only had one SDS, so don't know if the interface between body and chuck is standard or not, this one has a splined shaft with two detents for ball bearings, the chuck has a rotating collar that locks the ball bearings in place, the hammer action is a rod mounted concentrically through the shaft, but it doesn't make contact when using the normal chuck.

[*] which, as I said earlier isn't fantastic, especially when you need a further 13" clearance for the body, so definitely not for drilling between joists, it'd be nice if they sold a right-angle normal chuck for it too, but since that's not something I need often enough to buy a right-angle drill, I use a stubby bit in an impact driver, which gets the job done.
Reply to
Andy Burns