Ikea Lamp Query

I got given an old Ikea lamp the other day( see pic) and I was wondering how it works . It is 12v and the transformer is in the base part . The bulb ,which looks like a halogen bulb ( and is very bright) is ,obviously ,in the top part but the only connection between the two is the extending pair of legs . Does the 12 v get carried via these legs ?. What is likely to happen if the two legs get shorted together ? Just the job for using near my PC .

Stuart B

It will short and the internal fuse will fail. Don't do it.

Reply to
John

The 12v is via the two legs.

One of two possibilities....

  1. The internal resistance of the transformer will prevent it drawing too much current and nothing untoward will happen immediately, though if you continue to short it out the transformers internal thermal fuse will open.
  2. There might be a small fuse in the unit and if so fitted, that could blow.

Item 1 is the more likely scenario.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Are you sure the legs aren't hollow and there is wiring inside them?

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

.

> > Stuart

Nup they`re like extending car aerials, at 12V, typically 20W, the voltage is the same as a train set, no hazard apart from shorting the rails which takes out the trafos thermal fuse.

Still a current Ikea/ B&Q/Argos item,sub fiver, typing by one at the moment.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby