Ikea kitchen LED lighting

I've bought a number of Ikea's OMLOPP LED under-cupboard lights to replace our CFL lights, which seem to be dying faster than they should. The OMLOPP lights come with a transformer with 24 volt output. The wires from the transformer are not quite long enough to reach some of our cupboards, and I'm wondering if they can be safely cut and extended.

There is a warning somewhere suggesting that this is not a good idea. I'm just wondering if the connecting wires can have any other function, eg a specified resistance that must be balanced between different lights, or if they are just standard low-voltage electrical wiring. (They look like standard bell wires.)

The connecting wires have tiny connectors for plugging into the transformer which I have never seen anywhere else. I did wonder if one could get extension wires, but Maplin don't seem to have anything appropriate.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

I doubt the cable is factored in - the LEDs should either be constant current or constant voltage drive. In any case, splicing in a yard is not likely to make any difference. Crimps and heatshrink, lever Wagos, or an inline coupler like:

Tim Watts

+1

It will be fine.

Reply to