If there's one thing that turns my stomach, it's cat poo on the lawn before mowing

In message , MM writes

In defence of farms...

Cats seen on an isolated steading, fair enough. Cats seen near an urban fringe holding more likely refugees: the timid ones that have been pushed out by more aggressive felines.

With modern mouse/rat baits, keeping cats is unnecessary. Worse, cat shit in a 29 ton load of grain is instant rejection and return!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I sincerely hope it works as well for you as it has done here. Once again I can use my flymo with confidence these days.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Try doing that with a fish.

yes exactly like a pet. A pet or companion animal is an animal kept primarily for a person's compan y or protection, as opposed to working animals, sport animals, livestock, a nd laboratory animals, which are kept primarily for performance, agricultur al value, or research. The most popular pets are noted for their attractive appearances and their loyal or playful personalities.

Most pets have that ability to some extent.

My cats tray doesn't. If t smeels they don;t like using it, which is why it has to be emptied.

No usually not most breds, but who the hell wants to get home after work an d take the dog for a walk, what's up with dogs can't they walk themselves my cat can. My two previous cats could go out all by themselves and evebn c ome back by themselves.

Hardly the worse thing slobbering dogs are far worse in my opionion . How wants a dog that has just liked it's balls or eaten some shit to start slobbering over you. well I know there are peole that do likie it but I've also know people to b e into S&M.

So not much experience of them. My dad had a dog, my mum used to say you could tell when it was about as it 's farts stank.

yes it is a problem

Not sure what can be done exactly.

But it's no illgal to smoke outside even if teh smoke goes into someone els es garden

Reply to
whisky-dave

it depends where they are, I've been watching a few. They mark grass at low level as well as bushes etc... Although the cat I was watchign was spraying at a piont where a fox was.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Our local hospital had a lot gettign knicked apparently it was let just say oour friends from abroad drinking ot to get drunk, I wouldn;t have thought it possible, a local shop as 3 litres of vodka for a fiver too.

Reply to
whisky-dave

It did come today and I've just assembled it. While still on my desk the blue light comes on if I move my hand in front of it, then goes off after about 4 seconds. What the leaflet does NOT explain, however, is what position to set the Sens. and Freq. knobs to initially (bit weak of them, I thought). I've set both knobs to midway, and am just about to clear away all traces of cat poop, mow the lawn, then stick the stake in the ground.

So, those knobs, about midway sounds about right to start with, do you reckon?

Thanks!

MM

Reply to
MM

The ebay twin listing says frequency setting as follows.

Cats - Between 3 - 5 Dogs - Between 3 - 4 Foxes - Between 3 - 6 Squirrels Between 2 - 7 Rodents - Between 2 - 7 Insects - Between 2 - 7 Roaches - Between 9 - 11

Ours is set to just before spot 5 on the dial for both and I think I started with a similar philosophy to you and don't recall much fiddling.

Apologies for my earlier post suggestion the controls were frequency and volume - oops!

Incidentally, those little screws threaded into the plastic holding the battery cover are not likely to last for very many battery changes. I made two dummy cells from AA sized dowels with woodscrews and solder tags in the ends To pick up the ends of the 6volt series connected cells (after checking that there was no connection from other cell junctions) and then sealed it up with neutral cure silicone - dont use the vingear smelling stuff as that will slowly corrode the electronics inside.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hmmm, I'd say a pet that spends most of it's time out of the house and out of your sight wasn't a pet but just an animal you look after, are (supposed to be) or play with now_and_again ... more like fell ponies or racing pigeons.

Yes, company, and remember we aren't talking about 'indoor' 'pets' but those who aren't being 'companions'.

Yup.

And as you have said, 'their company', something absent whilst they are absent?

Fish? ;-)

Ok.

Millions (billions?) of people? Maybe you don't understand they whole 'outdoor' concept. ;-)

Dogs can (and do I'm sure) just as easily cats do but dog owners are held responsible for the actions of their dogs, unlike cat owners it seems (so far anyway).

Erm .. yes ... ? Isn't that one of their supposed advantages?

No, I agree, 'slobbering dogs can nearly be as unpleasant as most cats. ;-)

Very few I should imagine and as 'desirable' as cats walking over your food preparation surfaces or damaging your HiFi, vases or laptop?

;-)

I have had as much experience of them to know that I have no need / use / desire for one, ever.

Yup, anything that eats can fart and it can stink.

I / they / millions of people round the world know.

Chipping, DNA, licences, owner responsibility.

No, but the idea that the non smokers just have to put up with it or go elsewhere was overturned and now it's those creating the smell / smoke / -ve health effects are the ones who now have to give way to the wishes of the majority.

Just as dogs *now* have to be chipped (and therefore their owners will be more culpable) something could be done about cat pollution (via their owners), just as can be done with nuisance neighbours, ASBO kids or on-street-drinking.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In Lincs., with grass that needs mowing, is there not a bit of space to compost the cuttings ?. Add other dry material and keep covered with a bit of old pond liner, mix occasionally and you will end up with a compost.

Reply to
Andrew

How much longer can the 'free' NHS afford those that don't ?.

Reply to
Andrew

But what do I do with all that compost? I took three large Wilko green sacks of grass clippings to the tip yesterday. There'll be another two or three next week and the week after, all through the summer. That's a heck of a lot of compost!

MM

Reply to
MM

Slowly reduce the area of lawn and replace it by shrubs. Keep doing that until the quantity of grass clippings produced is sufficient to spread directly around under the shrubs as a mulch, about an inch or so thick thereby maintaining an equilibrium between amount of grass clippings produced and mulch used. They will help suppress weeds, and improve the soil. Worms will make the clippings disappear into the soil in a few weeks.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I thought composting was reducing what was there and it becomes smaller in time a bit liike a black hole but more smelly.

Reply to
whisky-dave

But 400+ say it doesn't work.

My experience with something similar was that the vermin got used to it after a week or so and just ignored it.

Reply to
alan_m

But 2,300-odd didn't, therefore they're happy!

My lawn was freshly mown 3 days ago and the Pestbye installed. So far, no cat mess! Success!

(Normally, a freshly mown lawn has acted like a magnet for cats' bottoms on past experience.)

MM

Reply to
MM

I always thought they liked the longer grass, assuming they liked to wipe their filthy little arses on it. But I'll certainly look at Pestbye. We used to have bird houses in the garden, until the cat that took over our garden learned how to climb on top of it.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Cats don't wipe their arses on the grass.

But I'll certainly look at

Reply to
3899jk

They were happy when they wrote their report. I bet theres millions happy with their diesel cars giving out hardly any pollution.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Didn't realise cats were that smart at outwitting humans.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Fuck off rod

Reply to