If Fred Dibnah did carpentry...

That's nice.

Reply to
Richard

On 07 Feb 2014, "Richard" grunted:

Yep.

I was just wondering what the H&S brigade would make of all the unprotected machinery (eg around 3:13)

Then I noticed the dog's tail... (4:32)!

Reply to
Lobster

Nice use of "branding".

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In article , John Rumm scribeth thus

Jeez!, The things that H&S inspectors must have nightmares about;!...

tony sayer

Over there, they probably shoot them and bury the bodies in the forest.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

They had safety glasses. One chap was even wearing them.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On 07 Feb 2014, Nightjar grunted:

Dog wasn't though.

Reply to
Lobster

Wrong end

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Why? They have a perfectly good furnace.

This must be how the US can compete against first world countries that enforce H&S rules.

100 year old machinery that's been written off years ago (not that there's anything wrong with that!) Just chop down trees any time they like without paying carbon taxes.
Reply to
MattyF

Should be a couple of banjos playing in the background...

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

They are operating as a green industry. Burning the body would be a waste of perfectly good fertilizer for a new tree.

It wouldn't take a lot, mostly guards for the gears and belts, to bring that all up to current UK H&S standards.

In the UK woodland can attract income tax/corporation tax, capital gains tax, inheritance tax and/or value added tax, but not SFAIK any carbon tax.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You might know more about that than I do. ISTR one of the problems with belt driven machinery was the difficulty of preventing fire spread between floors where the belts pass through. I also notice it looks like a total absence of any emergency stop buttons anywhere. Then there's the clouds of CO.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I don't know how much you know about it, so I can't judge. However, I have spent several decades keeping factory inspectors happy. I still have a complete set of the HSC approved codes of practice and a copy of BS 5304:1988, the British Standard Code of practice for safety of machinery.

Fire safety is quite separate from H&S considerations.

It is preferable to design the safeguards so that no human intervention is needed, in which case emergency stop buttons would be superfluous.

Clouds of carbon monoxide?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Don't they have a chimney for their boiler?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Maybe. But it would then be more difficult to get an oil-can in to lubricate the moving machinery.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Not sure that steam engines respond all that well to emergency stop buttons!

I suppose they could have some means of disengaging the drive by un

-tensioning the primary drive belt, and then applying a brake of some sort.

[The process of moving the belts by hand in order to get the steam engine crank in the right position to start looked a bit hairy, too!]
Reply to
Roger Mills

You do then

Daily access is needed to belts, bearings & engine.

Black exhaust means lots of CO. Large volumes + wrong wind conditions = plenty of CO exposure.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

simple to do for local work stations.

Yes, I'd rather use a big stick. If anything goes wrong you can just back away and probably remain unhurt.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

When we last had steam powered traction engines here, pulling and powering the thrashing drum and associated baler, the biggest hazard was an irate farmer's wife: upset because they had taken her coal (on ration) to fire the boiler!

I was too young to notice detail like dead centred pistons but lining up the pulleys so the flat belts would stay in place required much shunting and bad language.

From a H&S aspect, the hazardous job was cutting the string and feeding the sheaves into the rotating drum, totally exposed and at foot level.

Carrying 2.25 cwt. bags of wheat, feeding wire ties through the baler in front of the ram might also have raised a few eyebrows:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb