IEC 5 volt PS

Anyone make a 5v PS built in to an IEC plug? Could have a USB outlet or flying lead.

If not, why not?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are plenty of USB power supplies built into mains plugs. Some, such as the PSU supplied with my Samsung mobile phone, have a flying lead, whereas others, such as the one supplied with my Kindle, have a USB socket into which you plug a USB-A to Micro-USB lead.

Reply to
NY

You could plug such a device into a mains-socket to IEC-plug lead if you need to get the power from an IEC socket eg a mains lead that plugs into a kettle, PC etc - and which probably itself has a mains plug on the other end :-)

Reply to
NY

By IEC do you mean 'kettle lead'? While C13 (cable ends) are common, I'd have thought an inline C14 with converter would be a pretty niche thing.

There are 'power bricks', which happen to have C14 sockets on them, but bigger than just the plug. I suspect many of the ones you'll find will be many-amp supplies, which probably won't be efficient for USB charging. Most smaller power bricks take a figure-8 (C7) as they're double insulated.

For instance, a list from CPC and Farnell:

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Odd thing to want. Is it to plug into a UPS?

Reply to
Graham.

There are many IEC plugs. Which one did you have in mind?

Reply to
Michael Chare

The mains distribution for my Hi-Fi is IEC - much smaller/neater than 13 amp. And I've got a gismo that needs a 5v supply. Came with a wall wart - but of course 13amp. I've seen pretty small 5v supplies with a US style plug, so guess the guts would fit in an IEC.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've never seen what you're looking for, I'd just use a 5V PSU with C8 inlet, fed from a C14->C7 power cord.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not much room in there. They have to have a decent separation of the input and output voltages via a transformer, no matter how small. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

And some of them even work for a while be fore A) falling to bits B) giving off magic smoke and popping the circuit breaker C) burning the house down and or electrocuting the person attempting to unplug the molten heap of Chinese junk. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

What many call a kettle connector.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes - I know that. But there isn't a 13 amp socket handy, but there are spare IEC outlets. Of course I could simply make up an IEC to 13 amp lead and plug the supplied PS into that. But it would be several times the size than needed and look rather untidy. The reason for using IEC as the mains distribution is it is neater.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So "hot" service rather than "cold". Seems a bit OTT going for hot, aka 10 Amps, how many watts is this 5 V supply again? B-)

And I haven't seen a USB type PSU in an IEC plug housing either. Tried Alibaba? Might be possible to extract the bits from a small 13 A plug type one and fit into a rewireable IEC plug?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The general public perception is that they are all "kettle connectors". The Hot/cold variants are not considered.

Reply to
charles

Not really bothered about hot or cold type. Just used it to describe the pin dimensions and spacings - I've never come across another mains connecter referred to as an IEC as in the question I answered.

It's a possibility.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Until they try and use a "kettle lead" from a PC (say) to power a kettle and wonder why it won't fit. B-) IIRC it also temperature rating as well as current.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I suspect that's why it's called a "Hot" connector. I suspect the contacts are the same as the "cold" one, but I haven't dissected one to find out.

Reply to
charles

I can't see any difference in the re-wirable ones I have here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The hot condition (C16) and cold/normal (C14) are both 10A

Easy enough to refer to them by their "C" numbers, handy cheat sheet ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Then they're all the same sort. Look for a longitudinal groove.

(Hint: look at the lead on your kettle)

Reply to
Bob Eager