IE - RIP

Page 4 of 5

<snip>

users
has
change,
Why should software written by a committee of maintenance programmers be more functional and secure than software written by a small group of dedicated enthusiasts?
I find it (almost) inconceivable that a large(ish) Government with (relatively) bottomless pits of money can produce so much crap software over budget and late. However, they are pretty consistent. Large projects and large companies do not generally produce excellence because the drag factor of all the workplace politicians and niche cloggers destroys most true innovation.
As suggested elswhere M$ recognise this, and buy in innovative ideas.
However once they get their hands on them the committee strikes!
The main problem with OE (as with many other M$ products) is the shoehorning in of interfaces to other M$ products. Giving loads of APIs to a product then opens it up to (gasp) access by external programs. Not surprising that not all external programs are friendly.
The best way to fix the M$ mess is to break the software up into chunks which have to compete with outside innovators for market share. Not difficult to predict the result, which is why M$ are so against the idea.
But then I'm just a cynic :-) Dave R
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:46:34 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"

To your credit, you probably didn't get that way on your own - you had help from others I'd wager! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

This spotter can't read. I never said Outlook was better written than OE. I said "When and if Outlook has a news server function, then this will become the target.". that is clear, but maybe not from your galaxy.

playing
Most viruses come via emails, not news posts. I only use OE for news.

writes

Better be careful when you're downloading those binaries then ...
--
geoff

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:07:11 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
[snip]

Don't try Microsoft's FS 2004 on it! ;O)

Hmm.. there really are changes afoot at MS, the FS I referred to above for example; they used to release Flightsim, and then about a year later they'd update it to fix the bugs, then they'd announce a new one and so the (more recently) 2 year cycle would go along. However they have stopped doing the update, which means you got to upgrade to get bug fixes, or live with the bugs. I'm not sure how I feel about that proposition to be honest.
Further, they have made a really rather good (in my view) range of game controllers (sidewinder, which for the most part have been very well made and nicely designed, the software with them has been a tad variable from time to time). They also brand good mice and keyboards. (Well, I like the ones I have had so far, and I'm pretty picky!) However they have announced that the game controllers are to be discontinued sadly - I'll miss them myself.
So here we are with OE and for all we know IE being chopped (I wouldn't be all that surprised), and XP seemingly here for the very long run.
Sure looks like a shifting of longer term direction to me. Disaster management?
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Why on earth would it need a news server function? It's a client program...
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

has
Some here said was to have one. Duh!!!

All of this talk of trolls, Gollum and other virtual creatures makes me wonder something.
Have you been taking English lessons from Yoda?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Is this English?
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Outlook
yes

Aaaah....Jersey English!
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
writes

John I can see that the words are English, but we also have a thing called grammar which is the way we tie the words together to create something which makes sense ... which is the bit you missed out
--
geoff

writes

Thought the troll's name was Adam?
--
A. Top posters.

Hard of think too eh!
Please pout me on your killfile.

IMM wrote:

Oh dude, how could I? You've no idea how much I laughed tonight, all thanks to you.
--
Grunff (still smiling)

I never told of the times of Star Trek!

IMM wrote:

What does that mean?
Try again, slowly, one concept at a time.
--
Grunff

Pleas put me on your killfile.

IMM wrote:

You could say that 'til you face turns blue, it ain't gonna happen. Save your keyboard and bandwidth.
--
Grunff

< snip drivel >
Please put me on your killfile.