IE - RIP

geoff

It is not! Put me on your killfile.

writes

--
geoff

mike r
a> What other decent newsgroup editor/browser is available that is free? Given the group, shouldn't you be writing your own.
on the rare occasions I have needed to read news on windows I have used free Agent. Good enough that I actually bought the full version.
--
Mail me as snipped-for-privacy@MYLASTNAME.org.uk _O_
|<

For newsgroups and mail I have used Virtual Access and its predecessors for ten years+
http://www.atlantic-coast.com/va/index.htm
Arguably it falls into the category of programs that are a bit too clever: if you stick with it you'll probably love it, but new users might find it too much.
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 08:36:54 +0100, Harvey Van Sickle

I'll give them a look over, another is webattack.com - they have a freeware section which has served me very well a lot of the time, better than average to be honest.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
ventured...

I've been using MicroPlanet Gravity for some time. It supports filtering, kill files, etc. Unfortunately it's no longer officially supported, but I've just found these pages which offer some hope:
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html
--
Dr. Michael Atkinson, GeoQuest Simulation Software Development
Note that email address in the headers is cleared monthly and NOT read.

geoff wrote:

Well, I'm far from a fan of Micro$oft but I've tried all those recommended here and others and OE knocks spots of them for ease of use.
BillR wrote:

Yes, many virus writers would echo your thoughts...
--
Grunff

Outlook does not support a newsreader only Outlook Express. Outlook is a half cocked attempt to emulate Lotus Notes.

IMM wrote in message ...

That's the current version. Wait and see!! Regards Capitol
I like it! Regards Capitol

LOL! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
ISPs supporting something other than OE? Blimey! There's an opening for some piece of software there.
Toby.
Andy Hall wrote:

Later, Tony Blair's office leaked something to the effect that, Hey, there would be more good news once the targets had been lowered enough to let it through, but if, pause, you know, pause, Gordon Brown ever got the PM's job the targets would be far too high because he's (twirling finger) a bit, you know, loopy...
Meanwhile, The EU is bringing out an amendment to the new Constitution beginning "By Qualified Majority Voting it has been found that there _is_ a God after all..." The bad news is that Hell has been ratified as a Candidate Member of the EU, to be fast-tracked to full membership with no CAP reduction within two weeks.
--
Regards Ant

* ps - Don't let the EU rule Brittannia! *
(dwer) writes:
dwer> As with most things 'Microsoft', Outlook Express was bought in from an dwer> outside company because it was so far superior to anything M$ dwer> had in house. Indeed, the many people who praise or attack M$ as a technology company completely miss the point. M$ started out as a technology company, producing Basic for personal 70s computers for instance, then got handed an amazing marketing base for their piss poor CPM clone when it was adopted by IBM. Since then they have been an amazingly sucessful marketing company, buying in technology and turning it into sucessful products.
This is why they have such a bad record on security and stability. The fundementals of most of their products are not theirs and in any case their business model doesn't allow them to do more than beat about with the surface bits and get it out the door.
dwer> I presume that the mail/news agent of choice in future will be Outlook? From a statement I read it looks more like they would like to persuade people to move to web based services like hotmail. The depressing thing is that there might be enough suckers for this to work. Their primary goal is to ensure that people become more and more totally dependent on them. They were really pissed off when the internet took off and sank the planned MSN, and have been working towards getting back on route to the goal of all windows users being trapped into a M$ propriatary online system ever since.
dwer> I know it is fashionable to knock all things M$ but OE does seem to work! Are you a virus writer? :-)
--
Mail me as snipped-for-privacy@MYLASTNAME.org.uk _O_
|<
David W ERoberts (dwer) writes:

I deplore easy targets :-)
writes:
be> Remember it wasn't THEIR CP/M clone. When DR weren't interested, M$ be> bought rights to someone else's CP/M clone, and licensed it to IBM. They be> were marketing already... Yes, I'd forgotten that. They certainly learned from that experience.