identifying an existing CH system design?

You probably find the mains comes into the house in the garage.

A high flow combi is the simplest. He now has the opportunity to relocate the boiler, say in the loft.

< snip unhelpful stuff >

A combi is the best option for him. He is a DIYer.

Learning at last. very encouraging.

Wrong. A high flow combi is the best option for him. See highlighted points again and repeat them to yourself until you understand them all.

Reply to
IMM

In the context of the complete system and the work involved to install it, the cylinder cost, which is not expensive may not turn out to be an issue if it means that relatively little modification of pipework through the house is required.

That's necessary with any system.

That doesn't follow at all.

That's even more patronising.

It doesn't imply limited skill or ability, and it certainly isn't an invitation for a put down from you.

You know nothing about the requirement or the services or their location or the layout of the house so you have no basis for that conclusion at all.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Simplest, quickest and most economical is a high flow combi.

Witha combi you run a main mains supply to the combi and one two wire cable to a Programmer stat. Super simple. Childs play.

It does.

But true.

He is a DIYer and that does imply limited skill.

I am helping him with the best solution for his overall needs.

A combi is simpler.

Reply to
IMM

In appropriate applications.

You may also have to re-route a fair amount of plumbing and possibly lay in a new gas supply.

The only additional components for a system boiler are a motorised valve and a cylinder thermostat. These are not difficult to fit or connect.

As long as it is suitable for the requirement, the services are adequate, reorganisation of plumbing and the performance acceptable.

Considering your exploits with plastic pipe and hacksaws that's laughable.

No it doesn't at all - that's a ridiculous thing to say.

Except that you don't know what the needs are.

Than what?

It isn't simpler if it is inadequate for the task, reprovisioning of services is needed as well as substantial reorganisation of the plumbing.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No it doesn't, it just implies that the person doesn't earn their living from doing it.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

..and limited skill.

Reply to
IMM

And if you live in London, bear in mind that Thames Water have announced they are to reduce the water pressure, so whilst a combi might work for you now, it might not when water pressure drops.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Not at all, just that they don't do the work as their means of employment.

QED.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

IMM ? wrote:-

Doesn't that rule out almost any modern condensing boiler? Combi or otherwise. Unless the life expectancy of the system without maintenance is in excess of 15 years, It may be cheaper to just change the cylinder, and repair the boiler. Additional insulation may better deal with the energy efficiency/running cost considerations. TCO is the final deciding factor IMO.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Not at all. Now don't be silly.

Total tosh.

Sense at last.

Reply to
IMM

I'll admit to limited *experience* in plumbing, having only done the odd bit of pipework here and there, but I did manage to replace a cylinder adequately in my old house with a minimum of fuss. My problem is not lack of skill as such, certainly not with respect to carrying out the electrical/pipework. I am an electrical/mechanical design engineer by profession, and I do enjoy designing/building machinery and bikes/trikes involving much tube bending & welding. I work with hydraulics quite often and I really love soldering copper pipe and have got pretty good at it too. Spending much of my working week in the lab or behind a CAD screen, I find 'working with my hands' to be very good therapy! My only real concern with plumbing is lack of knowledge with regards to the actual system specification, and component-specific installation tips & tricks which a professional plumber would obviously have through training and years of real experience.

Thanks again for everyones advice on this topic.

Are there any on-line pricing guides for boilers, combi or otherwise?

cheers, JB

Reply to
JB

A combi is simple to install systemwise. Just take the heating flow and return back to the combi's flow and return connections. The DHW is cold mains in and DHW draw-off out and then run this to the draw-off of the old cylinder, or an appropriate tee into the draw-off elsewhere. Electical is just a mains cable to the combi and a two core wire from the combi to a programmer stat. Use a Honeywell CM67.

Put rad valves on all the rads except the rad where the programmer/stat is. Have a 22mm gas pipe to the combi. Sorted

at the Worcester Bosch Greenstar 40kW job.

Reply to
IMM

Hi,

Bear in mind condensing boilers will be effectively mandatory from April, so prices should be more competitive after then.

Whether a combi is best depends largely on hot water use, some other factors in heating system design are the heating requirement, availability of space, whether zoning would be a benefit.

If you can post what you have and want in terms of showers and baths then you'll get more specific advice. BTW is the old cylinder leaking at all or is there another reason it needs replacing?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Not all of them are. I have read that the governments own figures show that the worst condensing boilers are only a couple of percent more efficient than the best conventional ones. Find out the real figure for your own boiler if possible in order to do a real comparison.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

You are on about new boilers. The average new condenser is now way above the best regular. he has an old cast iron 30 year old boiler. A new good performing condensing boiler will drop 40% off his gas bill, as been mentioned.

Reply to
IMM

Far more likely to come into kitchen.

Reply to
MBQ

If the garage is integrated. I suspect this is integrated as the boiler is in there. If the boiler was fitted there as new then most likely the mains come into the garage too. They tended to put all utilities and meters in the garage.

Reply to
IMM