Identify this old bulb please

I put a picture of it at:

It says on it: Stanley 8V0.15A

It's from an old Sony radio tuner.

Where, nowadays, can one find small bulbs like this?

Thanks,

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Independant Radio/TV/Electrical shops. The sort that used to mend TV's. There is one near me who keeps such stuff in. How he makes a living I dont know, as his shop is easily 50% dearer than Comet et al for new goods. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

"D.M. Procida" wrote in message news:1isrmr9.1qx1du91usw185N% snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk...

I would use a 12v 1.2W (0.1A) standard MES unless the elongated shape is essential. I haven't seen bulbs that shape for sale for a long time.

Graham.

If you can't find a replacement it's usually possible to fit a suitable LED and resistor to the end cap. You might need a diode too if it's fed from AC.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I read that to mean 8.0 volts and 0.15 amps or 150mA.

Might have fun finding an 8v bulb. Nothing on CPC:

is a possibilty, so one of those and a suitably rated and value series resistor? Nominal 2v @ 150mA, 15 ohm 1/2W if my maths is right?

12v I suspect would be too dim.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

8 volt would make it a bit unusual...

There are 12V versions:

6V:

John Rumm

That's if they will sell you it. I went to our local independent radio/tv shop a few years ago asking to buy a 300ma AS fuse for the portable TV. No way would the guy sell me a fuse. He wanted me to fetch it in so he could repair it at £20 an hour. I had to drive into town and buy a pack of 4 from the wholesaler. I never bought anything from the local trader ever again

Reply to
Alang

In message , D.M. Procida writes

you could start here

Reply to
geoff

8v 0.15A miniature filament bulb, standard stuff.

If you dont find a replacement, you could solder a wire ended one onto the base after removing the glass section. Or use an ultrabright LED and resistor.

If you use something non matching, check whether its in series or parallel with other lamps. If series you'll need to tweak the new lamp to match the v and i draw of the old lamp.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If (as is possible giving it's rating), it is part of a series heater chain, the current rating is more important than the voltage. So 0.15A or more. A 6v

0.3A would work in those circumstances but would be rather dim.
Reply to
<me9

I've come across that value in the (distant) past.

Reply to
<me9

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net was thinking very hard :

The voltage rating is equally important if it is in series with something, as it will only pass the rated current, if the voltage is correct.

Personally, if it is in series with an heater chain and a replacement cannot be found - I would fit a resistor of equivalent value to get it working again and then add a white LED in parallel to provide the light output. Even if it is not in series, then an LED will be appropriate.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

John Rumm brought next idea :

a small resistor in series with the 6v one would make it work satisfactorily, assuming it is not itself in series with something else.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I can't imagine what they would be heating, but their obvious purpose is illumination - one for the dial, the other for the signal meter.

This is the model:

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

D.M. Procida submitted this idea :

I was thinking it might be valve equipment. If all works normaly with no lamp in there, just look at putting a 6v lamp in, but with a suitable resistor in series, or consider a white LED solution.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I think I've found it:

Looks like a useful resource.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Most lamps on valve equipment were 6.5 volts - run off the heater chain.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maplin still appear to do some - search on 'small bulbs'. My guess the 8 volts denotes it's rather under-run for long life - that's a pretty rare actual voltage rail for any transistor stuff. But for this sort of use something with about the same current draw will work ok - but may not last as long.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is indeed - bookmarked.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

8VAC, when rectified, smoothed, and regulated, would be about 9VDC.

Or as someone else pointed out, it might be running at 6v for long life.

I have vague memories of kit of this era..usually a twisted pair of wires running round the set connecting lots of lampholders, and running off a special winding on the transformer.

Not if its transistor kit withe the bulbs voltage driven.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher