Identify these connectors?

En el artículo , Martin Bonner escribió:

I'm looking at the tool used to crimp 50 ohm BNC connectors for thin Ethernet that cost a fortune years ago. Can I bring myself to chuck it out? No.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Become a radio amateur and then you'd have a use for it.

Reply to
Huge

En el artículo , Huge escribió:

Lost all interest in it when I saw the state of uk.ra and met some of the amateurs at the rallies. A passing acquaintance with hot water and soap, say once a year, about describes their personal hygiene.

Bin I think.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Try adding "Not got " in front of it.... better?

Reply to
John Rumm

and handy for when you need a really slim joint without having to solder and heatshrink...

Reply to
John Rumm

My crimp lugs, and I am retired,minus my usual crimper which I seem to have mislaid.It is unusual as it is based on the vicegrip principal. I am getting ancient so my kids will end up with them to throw out.

F Murtz

My wife thinks that's why they have to talk to one another on the radio.

I still have a licence, but the kit has been on a shelf for 20 years.

Reply to
Huge

Who'd have thought "Cheapernet"(tm) was going to be *such* a short lived fad? I also made the same foolish "investment" in a BNC crimping tool. I'm pretty certain I *didn't* throw it out but I'd have to invest more time than ICBA to in searching it out.

The RG45 crimping tool (despite very little use over the past 15 years or so since I purchased it) otoh, was right where I thought it was (in an ex-BT hard toolcase gathering dust underneath the bay window ledge of my office/workshop cum 'den'.

This was a much better investment, one that's likely to remain of some use for the next decade at least (and possibly for as long as the next two decades). I won't feel too 'cheated' even if RG45 were to become

*totally* obsoleted by fibre optic cabling as early as 2020.

To be fair, a more sensible investment would have been a decent krone IDC inserter tool (which I already had) and a stock of RG45 face plates and back boxes to suit along with a stock of 2 and 3 metre patch cables and a drum (or box) or two of solid copper cored CAT5 cable. There aren't too many situations where eliminating a wall mounted RG45 socket in the interests of 'keeping things simple and tidy' can really be justified.

Our back kitchen dining room TV setup comes about as close to this requirement where the single 15mm diameter hole in the corner of the wall, a foot above the skirting, serves to route the TV antenna feed and the CAT5 cable from the basement to our wall mounted TV set.

The 'tone' was set by the pre-existing 'straight through the wall' antenna feed arrangement (neatly avoiding potential, but all too common, signal loss at UHF issues with such "TV aerial wall sockets"). Having yet another 'cable' popping straight out of the hole, going to the tiny media streaming box alongside the TV set seemed a more fitting solution at the time[1] (plus, it saved a bit of 'faffing about with mounting and terminating a backbox and RG45 socket faceplate). I can always tidy up the installation any time afterwards if I ever find myself with too much time on my hands. :-)

[1] Although the current media streaming box includes WiFi, I don't think this was an option with the first Aldiddle Medion unit I 'sampled' 4 or 5 years ago, hence the CAT5 cable dangling out of the wall. Regardless that the current unit allows me to 'get by' without the need for a wired connection, I still prefer wired over wireless when it comes to "Fixed Installations" such as this.

I'm saving my WiFi from such abuse in order to let it better serve portable battery powered kit, such as tablets and smart phones and the like where it makes so much more sense (and the shortcomings of wireless are more readily accepted).

Reply to
Johnny B Good