Identify old soldering iron?

Someone in the USA would like to identify this old British made soldering iron:

really annoying this is that I used to have one, but can't remember the name! Does anyone have a better memory than me, please?

Reply to
Ian White

There's a name there,just above "Made In England"

Reply to
George

Looks like an Adcola to me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mind if the pic goes on the wiki?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've had one since the mid-70s though I can't lay hands on it right now, but I think it's an Onyx.

Reply to
Bob Martin

of theirs.

Reply to
Peter Parry

It's an Oryx 50. The name should be on the opposite side to that shown in the photo. Has interchangeable tips, is thermostically controlled, and the temperature is ajustable (up to 400°C), by mans of a hex key (1/16"?) set in a small plastic handle. I've had mine over 40 years, and it's still going strong.

Mine doesn't have "Made in England" - just "Model 50; 220-240v. 50w". I guess the MiE was for the US market, as the iron was made in 24, 50, 115, and 210/250v versions.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

the first one I bought in the early '60s.

Again, all their stuff I've seen was black. And only ever saw the one electronics type - the 25 watt.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Wellers" handles were all red.

Reply to
George

I'd have said 'plumb'?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm pretty sure mine was light blue

Reply to
Andy Burns

Those were the soldering stations type.

My first iron was a weller and that was red,30 years ago.

Reply to
George

George

Not exclusively

Andy Burns

Bingo! Thank you, Jeff.

Yes, that's the one.

The gentleman in the States has had his for 30 years, still with the same tip. The only reason he's asking is that he'd like to buy another one.

The US version was imaginatively labeled as "Sterling" and the original importer no longer has a clue. However, the brand name is still in use so I'll send him off to do his own searches.

Thanks very much, everyone.

Follow-ups to uk.nostalgia.soldering-irons.

Reply to
Ian White

an old valve era one (so before my time), because when transistors came out they switched to their much more familiar low leakage current design with the (brittle) ceramic shafts and the lower powered element inside a hollow bit (CCN, X25 et al).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

As others have said - Oryx Photo of mine (with stand - sponge missing) at:-

Geo

Bottom row 6 8

Letter S

Now I'm going to count all the red spots. I'll get back to you. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

yellow. Even

mean?

No they weren't - I've had oldish blue ones and black ones

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

You failed the bottom one. :-( its a 5.