Ideas of typical costs....

My daughter has just been to view a 1960's 3 bedroom detached house.

All is original and it needs a complete rewire (Wylex rwirable fuses - 4 circuits at present).

It also needs a new boiler - possibly a combi - and the existing tanks and cylinder replacing.

Any ball-park views on the cost would be really appreciated.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Empty house or will they have moved in? All singing all dancing RCBO CU or just the basic 17th edition CU?

2K for the basic rewire in an occuiped house with carpets to lift and furniture to move is my best guess. Stick on proper outside lighting, all RCBO CU and dedicated circuits for fridges etc and you will soon be up to 3K.

You did say ballpark:-) And prices may vary due to location in the UK.

Reply to
ARW

"ARW" wrote in news:l6q91t$a84$1@dont- email.me:

My advice will be to have it done before moving in. I am thinking a fairly basic - but adequate spec - and a couple of outside lights and feed to garage.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

"ARW" wrote in news:l6q91t$a84$1@dont- email.me:

My advice will be to have it done before moving in. I am thinking a fairly basic - but adequate spec - and a couple of outside lights and feed to garage.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Make sure that your daughter knows how much damage and dust is created in doing a rewire.

Reply to
ARW

Pro, DIY - or a combination of the two?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Pro.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Only real way then is to get a few estimates - as such things vary dramatically according to the part of the country you live in. As well as the design of the actual house. For example, if it has a solid ground floor rather than suspended wood, costs of making a neat job go up dramatically.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Pro.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The reason I wanted some ideas was because she is considering making an offer to buy the house and the work needing to be done needs to be factored in. On monday I can call a few local guys who will know the house type and may be able to give a realistic quote. Incidentally - solid floor downstairs.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Last time I did a full rewire on a 3 bed place (about 7 years ago) the materials were just short of a grand IIRC. So adjust for inflation etc, and allow a bit more for being detached rather than semi.

Decent quality combi and flue, plus some pipe and fittings - say £1,200

The above assume you are DIYing ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

In which case, ignore my other post ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Dave - that's a good point. I usually quote without the cost of replastering.

Reply to
ARW

If its 1960s the cabling should usually be ok, and 4 circuits adequate even if none too generous. If so you could avoid most of the work by just replacing CU and some/all accessories, and adding main bonding.

Often you can sneak in an extra new circuit or 2 somewhere without replastering. You might need to fix a borrowed neutral somewhere. Splitting existing circuits is also an option.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

A thought! Thanks. The house does not appear to have been tinkered with. All looks original.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Pre 1966 would usually mean no earth on the lighting circuit.

Reply to
ARW

The main problem with 60's PVC[1] installs is not so much the state of the wiring, more just the lack of provision of sockets.

[1] 60's rubber is less likely to be less serviceable.
Reply to
John Rumm

If its in good nick and pvc, why rewire? You could replace single sockets w ith doubles, add some more, add main bonding, and perhaps fit plug-in mcbs. All you'd lack then would be RCDs, which deliver little lifesaving value c ompared to the real life risks we all face daily.

If its a TT install with ELCB that should be checked or a new all_RCDed CU fitted.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It's often easier to simply start again, and have everything where it should be - not just where it might have been placed for convenience all those years ago.

If it is early 2.5 TW&E, the ECC no longer conforms to modern requirements. And the lighting circuits may have no ECC at all.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When the wiring's buried in plaster & decor, maybe not. A few extra sockets is a lot less chasing & repair.

Trivial with an RCD. If it worries you you can calculate the required MCB to suit. Going from wire fuse to mcb improves fault clearance.

Hopefully it already has earthed lighting. If not separate earthing can be added. Fed by an RCD you have 3 layers of shock protection: insulation, earthing, RCD. More than enough.

You'd need to look at whats there to see how good it is, and how well it can be modernised, or not. The point is the assumption that a 60s property needs a full rewire is simply wrong, there are options.

NT

Reply to
meow2222