Ideas for 16 meter long arms...

By flying electric I save a 30 mile round trip to the powered site :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

the idle current of the avionics will eventually drain it flat, and flat LIPOS are permamently dead ones.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 01:58:19 +0100, The Natural Philosopher mused:

Right, I see. If you're going to continue with this 'crashing into tall objects' method of flying I'd employ some kind of battery saver.

Reply to
Lurch

I assume that these batteries are Expensive Sought-After Objects Whose Loss Is To Be Mourned.

Would it be possible to give the battery pack a little ejector seat and a parachute? Maybe stick it to the plane with hot-melt glue with a heating element through it, and remotely activate the heating element to soften the glue and releate the battery.

Obviously this isn't an answer to the immediate problem.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Oh, you mean like a little ejector seat and parachute for the battery?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Not possible. Anything inserted between the battery and the model is either heavy, of significant resistance, or both.

Its not a common occurrence, and wouldn't have happened this time but for an unusual confluence of a new model, an early morning test flight in a less than ideal location to avoid flying up sun, and a rather conservative setting on the ailerons and a rather agressive setting on the elevators.

In short I glanced down to find the elevator trim, and it must have done a stall and a roll off the top and ended up heading for the trees..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well about 17 quid anyway.

No.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's my food bill for a fortnight!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

Oh! You mean pilot error?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A combination of pilot error and a new untried and untrimmed and fairly fast airframe. In this case its 'test pilot error'

Its pretty hard to launch with your right hand, and then rapidly get it back on the transmitter to get all the sticks moving in the right direction to control a plane that wants to loop..and turn left..all at once..

It's not as though anyone had ever built this plane before. Only me. These things happen.

Its still up there despite last nights winds, but I have a new airframe freshly laser cut, so if it hasn't fallen down by the time that is finished, I'll have to write the battery off and try and smash the rest out.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Natural

rather

setting on

airframe

A Chain Saw would solve your problem, and give you a supply of firewood at the same time

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

A fair number of those (including at least one 72m one) tend to be used at Silverstone for the GP each year. Scary scary looking things...but strangely fascinating to watch :)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Has fly by wire not entered the model industry yet?

I was working on that in the late 70's at British Aerospace. I would have thought that it had entered the development phase of model flying by this time.

Though I will contact a colleague who I used to work with, who now flies pure jet models, to find out where the hobby has got up to these days.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

A radio controlled helicopter with a grappling iron on it?

Reply to
mike

I think it would have been dodgier if it was "use a small boy"

Reply to
mike

You should leave it up there as a warning to others.

Reply to
mike

Cat rescued from tree 13th March 2007

A CAT which spent almost four days stuck up a tree in Worcester has been rescued safe and well by firemen.

Reply to
mike

model aircraft testers.

Reply to
mike

What about the flyfisherman? on second thoughts they only go for bluebottles.

Reply to
George

shotgun ;-)

Reply to