Ideal Notice Board Material?

I am involved in providing a community notice board and have the following requirements:

1 Vandal resistant 2 Weatherproof materials 3 Easy to insert drawing pins

1 is being addressed by using a welded steel frame, bolted to a wall, using hidden (or tamperproof) bolts

2 means basically the material should be rainwater resistant (will not rot easily)

3 is the killer; people need to be able to press in drawing pins fairly easily but the pins must hold the notices securely, and the pins must be fairly easy to remove later.

Can anyone suggest the ideal material for the board? MDF is too hard.

TIA Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Sorry, but doesn't each and every one of the above three cancel out each of the other two!

For example, if the Drawing pins are easy to remove then a vandal can easily remove anything held by the pins and if it's waterproof surely sticking pins into it could or will compromise the materials waterproof status?..

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I think it is going to have to be enclosed. Anything soft enough to insert pins into will be easily vandalised. Also, your notices will not be protected from the weather, of which the South is currently receiving ample amounts.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

You also need to avoid condensation - but the hardest problem is ensuring that notices are updated before they curl up at the edges or fade in the light of too many seasons' suns.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Jerry said the following on 03/11/2005 11:45:

Rumble

| 3 is the killer; people need to be able to press in drawing pins fairly | easily but the pins must hold the notices securely, and the pins must be | fairly easy to remove later.

I had some years ago, which was like soft MFD, produced specifically for notice boards, and worked a treat. Not sure what it was called, but I got it from a shed. Come to think of it I have some on my wall ATM, but it is covered with yellow baize. Continue searching.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Ideal, but unlikely:

You know those lint rollers you rinse clean, that stuff sticks notices firm with no need for pins, is fully weatherproof, and easily washed. But does anyone know what its called and where to get it?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Sundeala K is normally used, but isn't very weatherproof.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Sundeala :

Tony Bryer

Martensitic (400 series) stainless steel, or cheaper plastic coated mild steel, using small, powerful magnets instead of drawing pins.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

MDF isn't rainwater resistant either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd use some form of plastic foam actually.

Of course this is not totally vandal proof..there is always going to be a bit of an issue that something you can stick a pin in, can generally be ripped to pieces with a knife...

My choice would be blue high density insulation foam, covered in fablon or painted. If it gets ripped up, replace the foam. It can be glued in place with epoxy.

You may want - if using thin foam - to put a stiffer backing material on as well. Marine ply.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I made a bird table from some spare MDF, it's still going strong after 3 or

4 winters!

Jerry

Reply to
Jeremy Goff

Maybe they seem contradictory. Vandals seems to wish to rip the whole thing off the wall! The little old lady from the local flower arranging club accepts her notice may be removed but her fingers cannot push drawing pins into MDF. Yes the pinholes will allow water ingress.

Jerry

Reply to
Jeremy Goff

I don't think *I* could! Mind you, I have not tried.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Anything soft enough to take pins easily is not going to be vandal resistant. How about using perforated metal sheet, with plastic golf tees jammed into the holes instead of pins?

Reply to
Rob Morley

How about using a proper exterior noticeboard with glazed, lockable doors.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

This particular notice board is to be "open and available" to the community, i.e. if it was locked then it would need to be unlocked whenever someone wanted to post a notice

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Because you need to get the key in order to add or remove anything?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yes, that's what makes it "vandal resistant" and stops the neds writing rude words on the WI posters.

Owain

Reply to
Owain