Ideal Home Exhibition, Earls Court

I might as well cut my knackers off as to ask this in public, but I'm going to anyway...

Is it worth the bother these days - assuming you live near to London?

Or is it all greewash bollocks? Last time I went was about 1985!

SWMBO has never been and needs some ideas on decoration and kitchen design. I would not mind seeing if there are any interesting radio control products being demoed (from another thread).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Do they still sell those tubes of "gunge" where you put a dab on a straw and blow a ballon with it? ;) c1958

Reply to
brass monkey

On Wednesday 06 March 2013 11:10 brass monkey wrote in uk.d-i-y:

One post and you hijacked my thread, you old bugger ;->

Yes - we had those in the late 70's. Utterly crap they were too. Except for sniffing. Which means you'd have to be 18 to buy them now I expect.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I went a couple of years ago and was very disappointed. Virtually none of the marvellous stands offering gadgets you have never heard of and would never actually need that used to make it worth visiting.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I saw the thread title, and my first thought was "blimey, is that still going" ;)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yeah, we went 3 years ago, bought a water softener/tap water filter from East Midlands Water Co.

By and large the show is useless. There is no scope for getting "ideas" There are some furniture and kitchen fitout cpy stands but they were staffed by yo-yos.

Reply to
Tim Streater

On Wednesday 06 March 2013 12:55 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

So it's all Lawrence Llewellyn-Bollocks fluffy cushions and "decor" then?

Thought as much...

It did use to be fun:

1) There was always some "space age" showhome using unprocurable technology;

2) Lots of stalls selling widgets like funky whisks and peelers (hey, french peelers were a *novelty* once).

I suspect (1) is now in the realms of the Internet and Home Automation forums. The one thing that is hugely disappointing about home automation is that there is not a development of a standard protocol to which the market is then filled by compatible widgets covering every domain...

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's going to cost you!

Reply to
Part Timer

Some of that stuff is still there. But that would be no reason to go a second time.

No wood-burner cpys, f'rinstance. No cpys pushing (say) underfloor heating or hot water pipes on the roof or heat pumps.

Reply to
Tim Streater

On Wednesday 06 March 2013 14:45 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

That's very surprising. Used to be the place to go for *exactly* that stuff...

Reply to
Tim Watts

And there was usually free food, too, albeit in small samples. Does anyone else remember those miniature Hovis loaves?

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

I loved those!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Whatever exhibitions I have been to at the NEC recently seems to have had lots of stalls with French guys selling ratchet pruners, busy slicing branches. Not bad tools, but they are available on ebay at a fraction of their price.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Still have a set of loaf tins to make these somewhere :-)

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

How about the 'bottle choppers' to make a set of tumblers out of old beer and wine bottles?

Bought one but never managed a clean break on the cut line.

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

I thought it had finished there given Earls Court was being sold off for housing.

Damn, I remember those, as someone else said from some visit in the mid 70's

Made one from Mecano, never got a clean cut.

The only decent thing I remember was some "gunge" called MistaBrite for cleaning glasses (it smelt as though it was some sort of neutral paste with meths in it).

Reply to
Andy Burns

As sold at every decent baker's shop until the 80s at least. They made a nice change from sickly sweet buns.

They were apparently advertised in 2009? but I've not seen any recently. I must remember to have a look next time I'm shopping. They had been discontinued for a while.

As this is a D-I-Y group, buy some Hovis flour and bake your own?

Reply to
John Williamson

On Wednesday 06 March 2013 20:12 Andy Burns wrote in uk.d-i-y:

It is??

And no:

"From 15 March - 1 April 2013, the iconic British Home Show will return to Earls Court, London for its 105th Year!"

Blimey - 105 years... wonder what they had at the 1908 one!

Reply to
Tim Watts

With "HOVIS" pressed into the side?

Reply to
S Viemeister

I thought it was embossed rather than debossed?

Reply to
polygonum