Idea for novice plasterers

For plastering a wall starting on the brick. An upgraded laser level device that projects several radiating light beams on a single plane across the face of the wall.. The device could sit at the base of the work area and would need to be fixed in place. The device might be programmed so that the radiating beams could oscillate within the plane within say a 90 degree angle.

Anyway, it probably couldn't work because people would have their hands lasered off.

Anyway, shoot it down.

Regards

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

And the purpose of this strange gimmick is?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The best device for levelling plaster has already been invented, it's called a straight length of 4X1.

The *only* time I have ever seen a professional use a laser tool of any kind was a false ceiling fixer, he had a spinning laser type gizmo which he fastened to the existing ceiling and it just hung down and spun, while emitting a tiny laser at the exact same level down from the ceiling on each wall...he just went along with a pencil and a long straight edge and drawn a line along the red line, he then affixed his outside angle metal struts to this and they were all exactly level with each other the internal struts just sit on these so it was all perfectly level. The tool was only used for the first 5 minutes of each job but it made a huge difference...the only other way was to go along every wall with spirit levels but these are next to useless when doing huge areas like nightclubs etc.

Reply to
Phil L

Or a derby for us posh blokes.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I can't remember last time I used one...everything gets drylined these days, even newbuild, partly because of the insulation advantages. The extension I'm half way through has 75mm of insulation in the walls *and* thermalite block inside and when I said to the BCO that we might be rendering and skimming it instead of drylining,he said 'that's OK, just increase the cavity insulation to 100mm!!!!!! - the walls would be 14 inches thick.

Reply to
Phil L

I've never used a *derby* since I've learnt to plaster, well I mean you know instinctively the wall will be flat with gained experience with the blade. I've learnt that most qualified plasteres work from the corner of a wall to the other corner and noticed a bowing(recess) in the center of the wall on occasions,this tells me they never used a derby or bothered to check for flatness.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Flatness is not imperative though, as you well know (or should do)...I mean you can put on a wall that is *completely* flat and level in every direction but looks wrong (with the ceiling / other walls / woodwork etc), or you can put it on so that it looks right but when checked, is proven to be out a bit...what do you do? make it *look* right or look wrong but be right? - obviously it has to look right, right?....this is why most plasterers don't bother using a derby.

Reply to
Phil L

It doesn't mean this at all. There are a couple of reasons why plaster bows out at corners, and it happens after you've flattened the scratch coat with a derby, which is why it's not easy to avoid.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel