id this screwdriver bit

Can someone pls ID this (screw)driver bit (ie it's type name).

dave

confirms this.

Reply to
Part Timer

Reply to
Phil L

Ta. I did a wiki for this and found zillions of bits but not that one

- never heard of spanner bit before. It was actually the screwdriver version I wanted so maybe that's why.

Reply to
dave

On Friday 04 January 2013 16:02 dave wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I have not seen a slotted "nut" (actually more of a ring) since the 80's, maybe earlier - used to see quite a few kicking around off electrical appliances.

But I did have cause to file out a screwdriver 2 years back to take out a machine screw whose head needed the above profile. On a cheap fan heater. Ironically they did not think I should open it. I did think I should open it to blow out the fluff that was causing the element to run cherry red.

Reply to
Tim Watts

where I first encountered such a screw head.

Graham.

The Medway Handyman

Reply to
Andy Cap

url.com/bamxq68

I have always known the tool as a fork screwdriver. The nuts were commonly used to discourage people from fiddling with electrical appliances

Reply to
harry

Sometimes seen them sold as "snake eyes" security bits instead.

Reply to
Andy Burns

theTamper-resistant TORX screws pretty well too (I had "tamper resistant TORX plus" bits, but the "Tamper-resistant TORX" are different again)

Reply to
Toby

holes in the top.

Reply to
djc

Snake eye is the term I have used. BTW Barnsley police station use a combination of a snake eye and a torx security screw on all of the switches/removable stuff in their cells. ie one of each on all things that can be unscrewed/removed.

Reply to
ARW

Available from:

snot

They're also used by bicycle and motorcycle wheel builders - spoke nipples are slotted on the "bottom" for the initial build before trimming and tensioning - I used to use one in a yankee screwdriver for that very purpose, then made one on t'lathe from some 1/4" hex bar drilled all the way through so I could use a nelectric screwdriver.

Dave H. (the other one)

Reply to
news.virginmedia.com

No, those have circular pins.