ID of 22mm pipe

I've two wardrobes in which the hanger rail is brass plated and the hangers are difficult to slide and make horrible noises. The rails are ~19mm OD (at ~ 60 years old, ¾" I assume)and I'd like to cover them in something.

22mm plastic pipe might do it but I don't know the ID. Could some one be kind enough to measure a piece and let me know, please?

I did take a length of 20mm to try in 22mm in B&Q but all of the cut ends were squashed a bit! If 22 is v. close I don't mind if it needs a bit of packing or even slitting to slide over.

Reply to
PeterC

Wall thickness for 22mm is normally 0.9 mm if it complies with BS 2871-1 Table X :

Columns: Size of tube, Outside diameter (max, min), Nominal thickness, & Maximum working pressures (bar)

mm mm mm mm bar

6 6.045 5.965 0.6 133 8 8.045 7.965 0.6 97 10 10.045 9.965 0.6 77 12 12.045 11.965 0.6 63 15 15.045 14.965 0.7 58 18 18.045 17.965 0.8 56 22 22.055 21.975 0.9 51 28 28.055 27.975 0.9 40 35 35.07 34.99 1.2 42 42 42.07 41.99 1.2 35

(replaced by the far less accessible BS EN 12449-1999)

It ought to be over 20mm, so sounds like you may be ok if you cut it with a hacksaw rather than a pipe cutter.

Reply to
John Rumm

Speedfit barrier pipe is only about 17.3 bore, but I have some 22 mm overflow pipe which is about 19.1 (and has the advantage of being straight). I actually use is in an over the bath drying rack.

3/4 is 18.8 mm so you should be OK. Also, this stuff comes in 2 metre lengths and isn't too expensive (even in the sheds).
Reply to
Newshound

Thanks for that - I've saved the info to a text file. Are the figures for both copper and plastic?

Reply to
PeterC

No, BS 2871 is for copper

Reply to
Newshound

Just copper... specifically Table X half hard.

Reply to
John Rumm

uh? 3/4 in. is exactly 19.05 mm :~)

Reply to
Andy Wade

OK, I'll annotate the file to that effect.

It's actually the plastic 22mm water pipe that interests me - seemed to be pushing it a bit to get a hacksaw, trim off the end and seeif the 20mm would fit inside!

Reply to
PeterC

Yes sorry, that was in your OP, and I did not read it carefully enough. Normal 22mm barrier pipe etc will be to small for your application, however the 22mm waste pipe (i.e. that used for cistern overflows etc) will fit since it is thinner wall.

Reply to
John Rumm

Think it might depend on what make pipe ? .... for example I have 22mm Hep20 and 22mm Marshall barrier pipe and ID look different. They all work in same fittings as they only need OD to match

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I thought that barrier pipe was thicker wall than non-barrier. The waste pipe in B&Q was 21.5mm and I was able to try it as it was circular - it didn't fit :-(

Actually, 2m would be so little that I might as well buy a length and try it. If it's no good for the present purpose it'll come in useful some day.

Reply to
PeterC

Never simple is it? I though that trying 20mm in 22mm would give me the answer, then find out that the 22mm has been cut with a bolster by the look of it.

Reply to
PeterC

25mm plastic conduit? And no I have no idea of the ID.
Reply to
ARWadsworth

PeterC wrote in news:1hovyw646iywl$.1580ddnn2zckd$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net:

If it dose not matter if slightly on the slack side I'm pretty sure 25mm plastic electrical conduit would suit your purpose.

Heliotrope Smith

The wall thickness on the better stuff is about 1.2mm IIRC...

Reply to
John Rumm

And the MK catalogue does not give the spec.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Blue 20mm water pipe will take 15mm copper pipe as a snug fit (e.g. as a strengthener for termination), so if you work on a 2.5mm wall thickness, you won't be too far out

Reply to
geoff

Too big - it's like a buck in a pricket! Also, just to be awkward, the only one I have that isn't too small. Actually, I do have some 25mm MDPE but really don't want bright blue rails!

Reply to
PeterC

Blue pipe is thicker wall so 25mm would be about right - but bright blue rails?

Reply to
PeterC

Brass coloured Hammerite:-)

Reply to