ICOS/Keston/Greenstar

I have been receiving feedback from British Gas people that they no longer push the Ideal Icos boiler. It has been around for about 2-3 years now. There are a number of people on this ng who have installed it. Will people please give their opinion of this boiler from real usage?

Also, the Worcester-Bosch Greenstar and Keston Celsius. Do these boilers require a flue gas analyser to set up properly? Saves me trawling through data.

Reply to
IMM

Keston -- says it's factory preset, but you are advised to check it to help ensure maximum boiler life. Details of how to adjust it are not given -- I presume you are supposed to contact Keston if it's out of range.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ideal Isar (basicaly an Icos with DHW). Boiler does just as expected. Fairly quiet, not much whoomph when fired. Fragile user control replaced FOC by Ideal. It's a tight fit for all the gubbins under the case. No problems - but hasn't had it's 1st year service yet.

Reply to
Toby

I had an Icos installed in my last house. Very pleased with it, but did have an issue with the sparker failing after 3 months. Replaced very quickly and efficiently by the manufacturer under warrantee.

The old model Greenstars have their installation instructions on the net

The new style ones aren't much different at all. I've got one of these, but can't tell you if it is any good, as it is still sitting in the front room as they sent the wrong flue.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

I set mine (Keston) up using their suggested 'input rate' method & ran it for a month, but had several ignition failures during that time (5 repeats of 5 sparks). Bit the bullet & set up using a (hired) flue gas analyser - it was a mile out. Once set up it fires on the first spark every time. IMO def requires an analyser, but my flue arrangement is a little unusual (long).

Reply to
fred

In order to optimise the emissions of pollutants, flue gas analysis makes sense anyway.

I suspect that the only reason that some manufacturers have held back is that some fitters are too conservative (to be kind about it) to get one and they don't want to spoil their chances of a sale.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Effectively the Keston does need one since on a sample of a few, no one seems to have had one that was set up right out of the box. My guess is they are set up leanish becasue the damage of setting them up rich would be greater than the other way around.

Reply to
Ed Sirett