I've drilled the bath tap holes too far back!

Help! I could kick myself! I've drilled the tap holes in my new bath too far back. Does anyone have any ideas how I could fill the holes and start again?

Reply to
ukc801767782

I had a hole in my new bath, where a tile slipped down and went through a part so thin it was like egg-shell. I could have got it changed under the warranty but couldn't face fitting it and doing the tiling again and so it was invisibly repaired. I would look in Yellow pages for such a service. It's not quite invisible but anyone not knowing, wouldn't notice the repair.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Many thanks Andy. It's worth a try. Dave

Reply to
ukc801767782

Can you get extension bits for the taps?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If its a crap fibergalss one, try polyester resin, with microballoons in it, or white pigment, and some fibre glass cloth

See here for stuff.

The Natural Philosopher

Consider getting a piece of contrasting coloured opaque plastic/perspex to cover the holes and to mount the taps on in the correct location. Edges can be chamfered or profiled with a router at low speed/light cut to avoid melting the plastic. Seal under the perspex with silicone.

For a different reason I have a set up like this at the end of my bath - champagne bath - jet black plastic mount for a bar type shower mixer. looks OK and passed SWMBO approval too.

HTH

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

look into it. Dave

Reply to
ukc801767782

Thanks for your input Bob, sounds like a goer. I ran it past my SWMBO and she approves. Thanks again. Dave

Reply to
ukc801767782

Instead of trying to 'hide it' go the other way and make a feature .... put a plate over the area of the holes and the correct new holes, make it decorative ... polished stainless for example.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

What about simply buying another bath? In my recent experience it seemed that the baths were very cheap, almost loss leaders, with the priofit being made on the shower fittings and so forth.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

If it is fiberglass or acrylic get a gelcoat repair kit from a chandler or from an online supplier. To fill the holes, put tape over the back of the hole and fill to within a few mm of the surface using a grp reinforced polyester resin filler.

Then fill the last few mm using the gelcoat repair kit. This can be sanded flat using wet and dry paper and then needs polishing to get a high gloss finish.

warned, sailors soon learn there are many shades of white and getting an invisible repair takes a heck of a lot of work.

Reply to
Steve Firth

replying to Rick Hughes, Gavin Jenkins wrote: any ideas where you can buy that stuff Rick

Reply to
Gavin Jenkins

replying to ukc801767782, Gavin Jenkins wrote: do you have pictures ?

Reply to
Gavin Jenkins