I've chipped the sink

Help! I dropped a screw driver into the brand new sink and put a small chip in the basin. The wife is going mad. Is there an invisible repair I can do?

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
MikeR

Do they sell repair kits? If not I imagine the best approach would be the resin used for glassfibre, the gelcoat stuff. That can be coloured in a variety of different ways AFAIK. The snk'll need to be dry though,

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

Try white 'Milliput'.

Use acetone to clean up any dross before it sets hard..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Lift up the patio, dig a big hole, put wife in hole, relay patio making sure slabs are level, get new wife that won't moan about sink.

HTH

Reply to
Fergie

Plastic bag over the head doesn't leave any marks :-)

Reply to
Mike

I assume it's a Butler type one. I bought one from IKEA for my last property. It was very smart and dead easy to clean, but I was always very careful not to put heavy objects anywhere near it, even large bowls, as the wall thickness around the plughole was not very great.

However, the sink was only around £60. I would just bite the bullet, buy another new one, put the chipped one out into the garden as a bird bath, pond, or unconventional flower pot, then carry on looking forward to great service from the missus for the foreseeable future. Saving £60 is not worth ruining a marriage, and the repair will always be an awful reminder to your other half of what happened on that terrible day when hubby dropped a screwdriver and broke her dream sink, and you did admit to it being your fault! £60 is only a couple of fillings at the petrol station, and not even one filling at a dentist's.

MM

Reply to
MM

Seems a good idea to leave a mat in it then.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Dental fillings that look like white porcelain is good way to fix the chip as well.

Ask yer dentistr.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh no! A mat would totally destroy the feng suey. I suppose you mean a

*plastic* mat?!!!

MM

Reply to
MM

Maybe the chip could serve as a constant reminder for maintaining good dental hygiene. Any of the kids refusing yet again to clean his or her teeth could be dragged to the sink and shown the chip. "Look, Janet! Look, John!"

MM

Reply to
MM

I have a bidet in which the glaze has come off around the waste fitting - leaving a rather unattractive brown ring. Would Milliput be any good on that - and would I need to remove the waste before applying it?

Reply to
Set Square

When snagging our new house 5 years ago we spotted two of the upstairs sinks had substantial chips in and asked for them to be replaced. Well one was (as chip was on edge of bowl) but we now know the other (chip behind tap) was filled with some enamel type stuff as it has gone slightly yellow and shows up quite clearly.

Reply to
Ian_m

Could be rubber, or a metal grille with rubber feet - you could even make one from hardwood slats ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

I dunno. Try a bit underneath and see if it matches.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher