I've bought a fake phone...

Off Ebay - a fake Nokia N95. Don't know much about phones but wanted one of these after seeing how good the camera was on a pal's one. Bought one since I use PAYG so don't get a deal on new phones.

And it's an excellent copy - to look at. But has poor performance. Many of the N95 features simply don't work although they appear on the menu.

The seller has good feedback and has been an Ebay member for several years and is actively selling things. I have his name and address - so I'm confident of eventually getting a refund. Although his reply to my email isn't encouraging. Which suggests he knew exactly what he was doing.

For those who may be in the same position the definitive way to check is to get the chip set reference via the USB port. Mine says MediaTek Inc MT6227 which a bit of Googling gives as a low end one for a basic camera phone. I'm going to find out what the genuine one should say.

The only external giveaway for which you'll need side by side comparison is the 'tube' for the flash is smaller on the fake than the real.

Of course once you've got it working there are many differences as I said. Including the couple of games being in Chinese...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wouldn't Nokia love to know this ;-)

Reply to
RW

RW presented the following explanation :

It might also be a restricted version of the N95 made for the Chinese market. Even some phones sold here on contract sometimes lack certain functions.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Have a look at another 'tube' - YouTube...

Entering 'fake n95' gets a few hits. :-|

Reply to
Adrian C

Might want to ask in uk.people.consumers.ebay about what to do. How did you pay, out of interest?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This site talks about the fake N95 it was linked in a post in of the Ebay community forums:

articles about the other fakes on the site make interesting reading too :(

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Right.

Paypal. Since I only got it on Friday, I'm waiting to hear what the seller has to say.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They already do. A Google on 'fake N95' brings up lots of hits. As I found too late.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Heh heh. The menu shows a GPS function, radio, internet connectivity, and lots more non of which works. I can't see them selling it under the same model number.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's what keeps the fraudsters in business. If you get any emails saying you have won the lottery, a bank needs your details or you need to tell ebay your password - ask an adult for advice! Are people really so stupid they buy goods without seeing them, from people they don't know and then complain? Oh of course - they all use an auction site.

Reply to
Rob

Heh heh. I've done some 400 transactions on Ebay and this is only the second time I've had an attempted ripoff - if indeed this is one. Wish I could say the same about so called legitimate retailers. Want to hear about my experiences with a BMW main dealer?

In general my findings are that those who use Ebay are extremely trustworthy and knowledgeable about the product. Far more so that than the average high street store.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Rob was thinking very hard :

I have bought lots of items via ebay, it is now my first choice for slightly unusual items that I can't pick up in the high street. I have never had one transaction go wrong, or been unsatisfied with an item. All I have ever done is carry out the basic checks before bidding.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'm with you, Dave. My problem rate is 1%.

Reply to
newshound

I'm sorry, but I agree.

There may well be very many people - even the majority - who buy from e-bay and are perfectly happy with their purcheses (I am one, I've only ever bought once and was lucky) but it's always a risk to buy unseen.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So you have to put down your dissatisfaction to experience.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Me about 2% (but seller refunded okay). But then I don't - and woudln't

- buy a mobile phone off ebay.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

So if you saw this "Nokia" in a shop you'd know whether it was a fake?

Reply to
John Stumbles

You mean there's a Nokia which isn't in my pocket?

I don't look in shop windows ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Eh? What have phishing emails got to do with a transaction on eBay?

I don't think Dave is so much complaining as putting out a heads up. I don't know Dave that well but I don't think he will take this lying down and write off the cash without a good fight first.

I take it then you have never bought anything without seeing it first. How do you deal with buying petrol or diesel, particulary from a garage you have never used before? *Never* bought anything over the web?

Yes, eBay can be a risky place but provided you follow a few simple rules it can be an very good place to get things that would be either unobtainium within 50 miles or very expensive.

As eBay are *extremely* careful to say they are *not* and auction site. They are a venue for trading between individuals (in the legal sense). Real auctions have far too much tightly worded legislation for eBay to want to get anywhere near.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm simply posting for info and hopefully entertainment.

I've ordered another N95 off Ebay. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)