I think he overdid it taking that brick out...

(still I guess that was the intention - just perhaps not quite a quick!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Not bad for "passer-by" quality video

Reply to
Andy Burns

A still picture in the article shows it with a shop type front at the bottom and the beam over that obviously broken. The front wall was almost certainly doomed once that had happened.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

That cherry picker looked a bit too close for comfort - a little more sideways spread by the falling brickwork and it could have been a different story.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Perhaps that is what he wanted to happen. I couldn't see any way it could have been made safe.

Reply to
fred

He was probably trying to get it down bit by bit. If he wanted to bring the whole lot down in one big collapse, hitting it with a digger shovel would have worked and put him further from the action.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Many smart phones do "HD" video these days. That's not difficult as HD is less than 2 M pixels, the sensors in phones are 5 M pixel or more. All you need is the processing grunt, which phones have in abundance. What lets phones down are poor lenses(*) and/or low light conditions.

(*) I'm surprised they work as well as they do when you only have a maximum of 5 mm or less to play with. I think they must be closer to "pin hole" methods than conventional lenes.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Quite similar:

Best watched with the sound turned down though. "Interesting" bit is 2 mins in.

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

In article , Alan J. Wylie writes

Quite unnerving seeing the speed at which the fire progresses (watch the windows blowing out from left to right).

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Why do I think of the Pink Panther on this one? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not that close if you watch one trying to get focus - my Galaxy Note 3 is very pronounces when it "hunts".

But yes, I am also surprised they managed to get the quality they do. Nothing beats a real camera with good lenses but phones are damn useful for basic "event records".

Reply to
Tim Watts

I wonder if the bloke in a high vis jacket and hard hat had been using a blowlamp.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Very brave firemen. They must have had a pretty good idea that the building could collapse.

Reply to
GB

It's rather lovely that the very bit he was prodding was the last piece to fall down.

Reply to
Bert Coules

He was being interviewed on the Beeb a couple of days ago. He was very laid back about the whole thing.

Reply to
Huge

Jeezz!! was that place designed to burn;?...

God save us from "Oh my Gawd" forsaken American wimmen 'tho;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Surprised they're driving the ladder-truck around with the ladder extended, I quite often get to see UK ALPs (aerial ladder platforms) in use and they wouldn't dream of operating them without the outriggers extended

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's the first time I've heard a non-teenager actually say oh! em! gee!

Reply to
John Williamson

Yes, all such people can eff off.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Perhaps they were up just enough so he could move the truck. It was just *bit* urgent, wasn't it?

Reply to
Tim Streater