I smell

Very strongly of kerosene.

Despite being warned not to do it, while I was away erindoors let the oil tank run dry. I got it refilled this morning but the fuel line and pump were airlocked. I managed to get oil as far as the check valve inside the boiler by slackening off the nut and bleeding out the air (oil pressure in the tank was enough to push the air through). Then I had a frustrating time getting the boiler to light.

Eventually I resorted to the manual and it mentions venting the pump during commissioning using a combined pressure gauge and vent valve. I don't have one of those so I opened up the case, removed the plastic cover over the Rielo burner and examined the pump. This had a long brass thingy with a rubber grommet which I guess is the attachment for the pressure gauge, and below it a blanking cap. I reasoned that the cap was for the return fuel line on a twin line system (ours is single) and slacked off the nut and got some air and fuel foam out of the pump. Several repeats later (and piles of oil-soaked kitchen towel) the burner agreed to light and things seem to have been OK since then.

Did I do the right thing? Anything I may have missed?

Reply to
Steve Firth

That's pretty much it. Pain in the arse sometimes.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Mine has a bleed nipple on top of the fuel pump. You run the boiler, undo the nipple and wait until it sprays fuel all over you.

:o(

Reply to
Huge

Thanks to you and Huge. Another £150 call out fee (+VAT) saved then. Until building regs specify all tinkering with oil-fired boilers can only be done by a member of a particular guild that is.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not an unplesant smell, but I prefer, as do many, a bubbling pot of tar.

Reply to
Nervous O'Toole

Speaking of smelly kerosene, does anyone know where to get the unsmelly stuff, suitable for lighting? I would consider using Turpentine substitute (which claims to be kerosene), but suspect it would stink like crazy.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

"> Speaking of smelly kerosene, does anyone know where to get the unsmelly

France - in any supermarket, where it is available freely and at a very reasonable price....

Or at any DIY shed over there - it really is a worthwhile trip to go and see their prices and if you need to spend a hundred quid or more, it will pay for the day trip in an estate car if you are in the S.E corner of England or know someone who is travelling.

Diesel is 50p/litre, saving at least 25p/litre, so a 70 litre fillup would pay for a day trip.

Its just the time and hassle factor, but optimise it all and take a friend or two to share costs and it makes for a great day out (for us Southerners)

Nick

Reply to
froggers

Oh yes, I usually get a few items when over there. PVA is disturbingly cheap in comparison. You can get metric only tapes and tools can often be good, although the cheaper end power tools no longer seem as spectacular since prices came down over this side.

Christian.

P.S. You can get a lot of beer in my vehicle, being a Peugeot Boxer minibus...

Reply to
Christian McArdle