I need to fashion a desive...

That is bit like a garden rake with a flat end but significantly longer...

I am currently turfing my front lawn. I have raked over all the mud and now need to get it perfectly level.

I connected 2 old bits of wood together in a T shape before and used that to try and flatten the mud down - it worked to an extent but fell apart

I could buy somehting liek this

they cost a fair wedge and I bet I could buy the wood from a DIY store to get the same effetc

I don't need the rake element of it. Just something that is maybe 1.5 metres wide that I cna push along the ground

I am thinking 2 pieces of CLS in a T shape and maybe a 'handle' on one end and maybe 2 angles braces at the T end for support.

As there is a lot of pressure pushing forward I will probably need more connection points to the bit being pushed

Any ideas?

I liek the idea of joining the T liek this as it will be pretty solid - I guess I would need to splash out on a chisel though.

Reply to
mo

Lesser mortals just turn the rake over and use the flat side :-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 18:34:55 -0500, mo wibbled:

4 pieces of timber. Handle butted into middle of the "rake" element - one screw from "rake" into base of handle (handle is CLS). 2 bits with 45 degree cuts about a foot or so long, between handle and "rake" on either side. Screw into handle and head.

Crude, not pretty, but functional.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ah, is that like the Farside cartoon where the bloke said he couldn't drink his soup because the spoon was convex?

Reply to
Tim Streater

"Tim Watts"

Yes, I have made something similar, but with approx 45 degree angle to "rake" face. It makes the 2 angled brace pieces a bit tricky to cut (mitred in 2 planes). This means that with the handle held at 45 degrees, you present a vertical face at ground level.

The difference is that mine is used as a snow pusher rather than a ground leveller. Saves the effort needed to lift and sling the snow. If it's the right-type-of-snow it can simply be pushed to the edge of the drive.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

One thing I do have

My old rake broke, i.e the rake bit broke from the metal pole so I do have the pole

Cannot figure out how to get the pole to connect to the wood, i dont have a drill bit that fat and I doubt 1 hold/joint would do it.

Reply to
mo

My snow pusher consists of the garden rake, with a couple of feet of plastic drainpipe cut in half and wired onto the front. Both halves of the pipe for strength. Worked a treat. Still intact as I haven't needed the rake yet!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ