I need alternatives to fix expansion gap for new install

It comes up time and time again.

I need to fit some laminate flooring in the hallway. Ideally I would love to remove the existing skirting. But with 10 doors it will be a nightmare to get anything to match back up.

I recall hearing of a tool that could cut a strip from existing skirtings ?

Alternatively a gig to use as a guide with some kind of tool might do it.

Reply to
andysideas

The problem with *not* removing the skirtings is that the last strip is virtually impossible to fit because you can't get behind it to pull it up against its neighbour.

Sliding under under-cut doorframes is ok - because there are nearly always sticking-out bits you can get at, but skirtings . .

Reply to
Set Square

There is such a tool, it looks a bit like a biscuit jointer.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Any links Rick?

I've seen one with a triangle

Reply to
andysideas

Especially if you're using glueless, as you have to 'insert' each plank at 45 degrees, then push down flat, rather then slide together. This type also makes sliding under cut doorframes impossible (and nearly impossible to get a neat close line around them as well.)

I'd like to find the sad b*start who wrote the Ikea glueless install advice sheet who thinks that laying laminate "is more fun than work" - working in Ikea must be really sh*t!

Reply to
Alan