I need a neat 15mm hole drilled through a 20mm thick ceramic basin. How is this done?

Can anyone suggest who I should contact in order to have a couple of very neat 15mm holes drilled through a piece of ceramic bathroom furniture. The ceramic is about 20mm thick. The item has not been installed yet so I am free to take it to a capable factory when I can find one.

I have been guessing that people familiar with tile drilling and mirror mounting holes could help but am so far drawing a blank.

Reply to
Peter

You can get a tile drill, which looks rather like a spearblade on a shaft . By its nature, the width of the hole depends on how deep you insert the drill. It might work if you can get one that is near 20mm at its widest point. I have a feeling they don't do them that big though, 8mm is the biggest I can find at Screwfix. No idea about getting it done by a factory. You can also buy grit-edged holesaws, Screwfix does a 20mm diameter one for about £7.99 + p&p. For a more expensive option, they also do a 19mm diameter diamond core drll for £59.99, so a little steep, and you need a 6mm tiledrill with that for a pilot hole.

Looks like the grit-edged holesaw is the best option. You may still need a steadying device called an arbor with that, to prevent skittering about.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

Depend on your location, we have an ultrasonic drilling/milling machine at work that is capable, similar to:

10 rotary bottom of page.

contact down, it won't be free BTW...

Reply to
Badger

Try a stone masonry firm which does gravestones! They are very experienced at cutting Marble and granite. They are also IME very reasonable in costs.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

You will also want a water spray on to it while cutting to preserve the life of the bit and prevent overheating the material.

Reply to
John Rumm