I'm drilling a hole...

Well, I will be. It's for an external aerial wire. Actually two aerials, digital terestrial ('Freeview') and FM radio. I think I'll put it just above ground level so the cable emerges into the cellar.

Any advice? Thanks.

Reply to
michaelrmgreen

'Day job' and 'don't give it up' spring to mind

Reply to
Slurp

Erm... use a drill to make the hole? What sort of advice are you looking for?

Whatever; make sure you drill the hole in a slightly upwards direction from the outside, to stop water running into the house; also, where the cables run down the outside wall and into the hole, they should run down

*past* the hole for about an inch, do a U-turn and enter the hole from *below*; this stops water from tracking down the cables and straight into the hole.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Is there an airbrick or ventilator grill close?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Leave a 'U' shape of cable dangling down below hole level.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

In message , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote

Use CT100, or equivalent, CIA approved satellite quality cable that is fully copper screened for Freeview. This can help minimise (not eliminate) interference from passing vehicles.

If the cable is likely to get crushed use one with a foam dielectric.

Reply to
Alan

Don't drill there, drill it elsewhere Your drilling it round and it ought to be square The shape of it's wrong, it's much much too long And you can't put hole where a hole don't belong..........................

Reply to
david lang

I've seen the holes silconed round the entry point to also stop water coming in.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Make sure it slopes to the outside, then rain water wont run into your wall.

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

Sky install by any chance.....

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

No idea. Might have been. I've seen another grommet type jobby which can be placed against the wall. Not sure whether this actually solves any water problems or just covers up the ugly holes/too much break-out.

When Sky installed for me they went through the window frame using a masonry drill bit! This caused a crapload of splintering on the outside of the frame. They didn't bother siliconing that, that's for sure. Which reminds me, I must get round to sorting that soon.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

...and I bet you've got that old Bernard Cribbins album haven't you?

Reply to
Dark Angel

Thanks to all who replied. Especially the 'don't give up the day job' guy.

Reply to
michaelrmgreen