I'll Have to try it?

Anyone ever used a roller when pasting wallpaper? are the results just as good as a brush?

Ta

Reply to
George

Not tried it but I don't believe it would ever work. You wouldn't get the air bubbles out or get into corners, or, basically do any of the things a brush does well. Using a brush is very quick too, so I can't see why you would want to use a roller!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I suspect he meant using the roller to apply the paste to the paper. I saw an office partition installer doing this - but he probably only uses one type of (smooth) decorative paper but it was quick and clean. I don't think it would be quite so effective with embossed papers.

Hopefully someone who actually does this will also reply.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Ah. That would make more sense! What is it about wallpaper paste? I always mix according to the instructions and apply, not too thickly but the number of rolls it does is so far below what it says on the packet such figures are completely meaningless. Is it me?

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Yes but you lose that pleasure of stroking the paste on and feeling it change under your brush.

FFS George I thought you were a Traditionalist!!

Reply to
EricP

It's been tried a thousand times and each time it's been spewed off as a bad idea. The paper rolls up with the roller, that is to say, you end up with a soggy length of wallpaper wrapped around a roller full of paste.

Reply to
Phil L

One method that has worked well for me with lining paper is to paste the wall and soak the paper in the bath. No, it doesn't fall apart :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

Yes, I've done it a lot, and been happy with the results on plain paper (don't like embossed anyway!) I think I get a more even film of paste than with a brush, and if you paste over the edge and on to the table there appears to be less on the face of the paper (wiping the table afterward of course.) I don't find the paper rolls up with the roller, but always start away from the end, and go in both directions from there.. You need a small brush handy for the odd extra edge fill of course, and soak timing is still as important as with a brush, for consistency of expansion.

Everyone to his/her own, but I now don't paste paper any other way.

Charles F

Reply to
CJF

What sort of roller do you use? Foam? Furry?

(Seems possible that different types of roller could partially explain the diverse results reported.)

Reply to
Rod

Not only you, me also.

Reply to
Broadback

No. I have had that problem for several years. It could be, like me, that you want the maximum slidabilty.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

They do it a lot on that DIY SOS show, seems to be a small foam roller they use. Never tried it myself though...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

An old worn short furry roller

Charles F