I KNOW it's not diy but ...

On 27 Dec 2003, Alan wrote

It's odd, though: I got a cheap one for Christmas, and the manual

*said* it synchronised to Germany -- but it's synched itself properly to GMT, and I can only guess that the unit itself is set for Rugby, but that the manual that came with it wasn't changed.

(Unless the German source knows that I'm calling in from the UK and adjusts accordingly -- but I doubt that. If it's using the German source, though, it's still synchronising fine for me.)

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle
[12 lines snipped]

Yes.

[6 lines snipped]

Depends what you mean by "not very". On a broadband connection to a Stratum

1 time server you're likely to get accuracy in the 10's and possibly units of milliseconds.

NTP has "strata" of time sources depnding on how far from a hardware time source you are.

Not very. And NTP takes account by measuring the roundtrip time.

Reply to
Huge

DCF77. The signals can be a bit weak as you move further north and west in the UK.

For positioning, yes, but I understand that there is also a time stamp in the transmissions. I believe that the receiver is able to deduce a reasonably accurate time from the signals.

It can become reasonably respectable. You can configure your software to work with multiple time servers. With the better software, each peering is done with a digital phase locked loop and the short term jitter between you and the time server can be averaged out. This is then accounted for as an offset and offsets between peerings compared to produce a fairly accurate time after a few hours of operation.

No it isn't the same as having your own caesium time standard equipment, but you can generally get to few tens of mS accuracy, which is generally OK for purposes apart from precision science.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Only a minute? I thought it was more like 30 years..... ;-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Even if it's "bounced" off a satellite, the geostationary are about 22,500 miles high, giving a round trip if 50,000 miles.

at propagation speed, around 186,000 miles per second, that only puts in about a quarter of a second of the delay, so much more of it is due to processing

mike r

Reply to
mike ring

Assuming transmitter and receiver are both vertically below the satellite, or nearly so....

Reply to
Bob Eager

Probably that, although I suppose it could be set up to subtract an hour when sold in the UK market and still use DCF77.

Even so, the methods of coding the time signal used by MSF Rugby and DCF77 Mainflingen are fairly similar, so the basic electronics will probably be switchable to either according to market. The radio part is probably tuned differently - 77.5kHz vs. MSF's 60kHz

Nope. It's reception only.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

At Northern Europe latitudes (assuming uplink and reception) about

600mS is usually considered to be the round trip time allowing for various modulation, demodulation and other comms equipment.

The additional delays are as a result of the MPEG1 layer 2 compression and the various forms of error correction and other processing employed in the transmission path.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Play around with the clock buttons a bit - I did earlier today (accidentally!) and found one display of -1. When I set that to zero the clock showed CET. I guess they are ready set for the UK market at -1 before despatch.

Reply to
Woody

.....or if you want accurate pips, use 198KHz Radio 4LW.

Reply to
Woody

I used to have a clock that I made that used this Droitwich R4 transmitter when it was on 200kHz as a frequency reference. It worked extremely well because the carrier was a national standard with a caesium (or maybe it was rubidium) reference. Then they shifted to

198kHz. The clock was discrete logic based and so not particularly easy to modify to work at the new frequency,

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

"Bob Eager" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rikki.tavi.co.uk:

Never thought of that, you'd have to be at the right place on the equator.

However, given the diameter of the earth at roughly 4000 miles, and allowing tangential sight (to give me a right angle triangle, it's 50 years since school) it couldn't be as much a 27000, which wouldn't add much,

My point, which my brain wishes it hadn't tried to show off with, was that all the processing causes most of the lag - now I need a bevvy and a lie down

mike r

Reply to
mike ring

Oh, I accept that...just making an observation!

Reply to
Bob Eager

On 27 Dec 2003, Woody wrote

-snip-

I'll give that a try, but I fiddled around a bit and didn't see an obvious setting. (There's a +12 to -12 setting for an alternative time zone, but that doesn't seem to apply to the main display.)

What makes me think that it's a "wrong manual" thing is that I also can't seem to get a 2400 hour display -- just an am/pm -- even though the manual uses an illustrative time of 16:20. I'll play around a bit more...

(So far, though, I'm quite tickled with it: it displays indoor and outdoor temperatures, with the outdoor temperature through a radio sender. I'm a happy little gadget man.....)

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

On 27 Dec 2003, Andy Hall wrote

There's certainly something going on with the factory settings. It has a C/F display switch, but so far I've not found a way to show a 24-hour clock, just am/pm (even though the manual illustrates with a time of

16:20)....must keep looking....

-snip-

That's what I thought.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Well, not exactly.

The GPS receiver has to find the distance from each of four satellites to get a fix on your position. It does this by measuring the time taken for the signal to travel from the satellite to the receiver. In order to do this the receiver *must* know the exact time with nanosecond accuracy.

The satellites have atomic clocks and send a message to the GPS receiver which includes the exact time it was sent. By a very ingeneous method the receiver examines the data from at least four satellites and calculates its position and the exact time.

If you want more details:

So the bottom line is that the GPS receiver gives the time with atomic clock accuracy.

Reply to
Mike Lane

Err, I thought the earth was about 8000 miles diameter?

My mathematics is a bit on the rusty side now, but Australia is about

12,000 miles around the surface, so mother earth is about 24000 circumference.

As circumference = PI x diameter then circumference / PI = diameter, which is 24000 / 3.14, approx 8000.

Professor PoP

PoP

I was wondering what I'd started!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I was wondering what I'd started!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well it was a DIY project...... :-) .andy