I just don't beleive it

Ah, The Central Computing and Telecommunications Agency.

I had an interview with them, for a sandwich placement. They were already paying the shittiest wages of the employers we dealt with. When I was offered the role, they dropped the salary by £500, because I was 20, not

21, and "that's how the civil service works". They actually called my up when I declined the offer, to ask why, as I was the 5th person to turn them down. I explained that if they paid people by how old they were, as opposed to how good they were, then they wouldn't necessarily attract the calibre of person they needed. It was instructive that the lady I spoke to (and who interviewed me) really didn't see why on earth they should ever want the best person for the job. Didn't people realise they had tradition, and a long history of service ?

In the event I got a placement at British Gas, while it was privatised. We had to call house services to move a desk, which took a week.

Tell that to the kids of today ;)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

A long history of shitty service, in all probability, to go with the shitty wages. Still, that's nationalised industries and the civil service for you.

Reply to
Tim Streater

on 09/08/2014, Harry Bloomfield supposed :

How's about that......

Reported on-line on Saturday, once I had confirmed the fault at the faceplate. The fault was still there at 10am today, line working at

11am.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Correct, could still get a working broadband service,albeit somewhat degraded with a line that was 'dead' for telephony - no dial tone or ringing. Fault was a cable damaged by a tree root and water ingress, resulting iirc no DC reaching the premises as I think one leg of the pair was either fully disconnected or very high resistance.

Reply to
The Other Mike