I have £250 to blow on an Inverter Welder

I should have said it is for use in a school, I had a go of one the other day and I liked the way it was easy to maintain the arc. I think it would be a good way to introduce welding to the pupils.

TA

Reply to
misterroy

for discipline or tuition?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I have a Tig from R-Tech, they are an excellent company to deal with, one of these might suit you:

pcb1962

I *assumed* the OP was interested in TIG capability.

Reply to
newshound

OP said "I think it would be a good way to introduce welding to the pupils" Tig is not a good way of introducing welding to anybody - the learning curve is steep and early results are enough to put most people off. Pretty sure the OP is talking about an inverter stick welder. These have scratch-start Tig capability anyway, but the addition of gas and torch would go way over the £250 budget.

Reply to
pcb1962

Buy a MIG

I learnt mig welding with a mate that was fairly neat and very strong on a few bits of 3mm scrap after about an hour of messing about.

Bearing in mind not all the pupils will not be as able as me to pick up practical stuff (I learn fast if I see someone else doing it well) I think a MIG will encourage more of them as they'll get useful (if not neat) results within a lesson.

Unlike my only go at brazing in metelwork (and with the exception of the above) which was so dire[1] it has left me thinking brazing steel is less effective that breaking out the araldite.

[1] The metal just would not flow. Just blobbed on. Soldering with funky solder and Bakers fluid has yeilded better results for me.
Reply to
Tim Watts