I hate Modern Chucks.

I have a very nice, and fairly expensive, Metabo Li_Ion 14v Drill. It's a wonderful tool, and I love it. However it has one of these appalling modern keyless chucks (as do all drills these days for some unfathomable reason). Does anyone know if it can be changed for a proper keyed chuck (that will work in un-screw as well as screw mode)?

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

It should be simple. They certainly exist on the Jacobschucks.com US site The drill spindle thread is listed on the appropriate page for the drill at

and then find a power tool dealer or an engineers merchant.

Peter K

Reply to
PeterK

You can certainly change it... having said that I find the Rhom keyless chuck on my Makita combi far outperforms any keyed chuck of similar size I have used. (this is a single handed chuck on a drill with a auto shaft lock, rather than the less effective two handed design you get on some drills)

Reply to
John Rumm

Buy and impact driver or the Wickes (Kress) drill driver with the angle attachment. They don't need them.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Wobbly drill bits might suit you but anyone with skill will dislike them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mine's like one of those, but they don't stay locked if you habitually use the thing in reverse - which I do. I agree they are fine for forward gear.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Thanks, but I like this Metabo drill. I have one of the Kress dds too, and it's fine for some things, but not continually unscrewing small things.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

So is it that you like using screws with left hand threads or do you have taking things apart as a hobby?

Reply to
Andy Hall

It suggests that yours is faulty in some way, the direction of rotation should make no difference to the chuck staying done up.

Reply to
John Rumm

Both my Makita DD's have the black two handed keyless chuck & both sometimes open when in reverse. Holding the outer ring & spinning the chuck using the trigger lock the chuck well enough for forward use, but they have to be tightened with both hands for reverse work. Not a major problem, but annoying sometimes.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I could not quite tell from the "Mine's like one of those" response whether he meant one or two handed... I agree the two handed ones are not as effective. I have not noticed the single handed one being any different in reverse.

Reply to
John Rumm